Freddie and the Dreamers

Started by admin, December 21, 2017, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Freddie and the Dreamers were a British band that had a number of hit records between May 1963 and November 1965. The band's stage act was enlivened by the comic antics of the 5-foot-3-inch-tall (1.60m) Freddie Garrity, who would bounce around the stage with arms and legs flying. Freddie officially retired from all work in February 2001. He died in Bangor, North Wales, on 19 May 2006 aged 69.

The band consisted of Freddie Garrity (14 November 1936, Crumpsall, Manchester – 19 May 2006, Bangor, Gwynedd, North Wales),  vocals; Roy Crewdson (born 29 May 1941, Manchester), guitar; Derek Quinn (born 24 May 1942, Didsbury, Manchester), guitar and harmonica; Peter Birrell (born 9 May 1941, Manchester), bass; and Bernie Dwyer (11 September 1940, Manchester – 4 December 2002, Cheadle, Cheshire), drums.

Although the band was grouped as a part of the Merseybeat sound phenomenon that the Beatles exploded around the world in the wake of Beatlemania, they came from Manchester. Prior to becoming a singer, Garrity had worked as a milkman in Manchester.

They had four Top 10 UK hits: a cover of James Ray's hit "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody", which reached number 3 in the UK Singles Chart in mid-1963, "I'm Telling You Now" (number 2 in August), "You Were Made For Me" (number 3 in November) and "I Understand", which hit the number 5 spot in November 1964.

Session guitarist Big Jim Sullivan played on a couple of the records,"I Understand", "A Little You", "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Just For You" ".

On stage the group performed pre-rehearsed, synchronised wacky dance routines. They appeared in four British films: What a Crazy World with Joe Brown, Just for You, The Cuckoo Patrol and Every Day's A Holiday (US title Seaside Swingers) with Mike Sarne, Ron Moody and John Leyton.

Between 1970 and 1973 Garrity and Birrell appeared in the UK ITV children's show Little Big Time, a zany music/talent/adventure show with audience participation.

The group made a guest appearance in the BBC sitcom Dear John.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUqjuAUus5Y

"I'm Telling You Now" is a song by Freddie Garrity and Mitch Murray, originally performed by Freddie and the Dreamers that hit number one on the American Billboard Hot 100 in 1965.  Murray also wrote songs for other British artists during the 1960s, including Gerry and the Pacemakers, Manfred Mann, and Georgie Fame. "I'm Telling You Now" was first released in 1963 on Capitol Records, USA/Canada and on Columbia, UK/India/Netherlands/Sweden, and was not successful. Two years later, Capitol's subsidiary, Tower Records, re-released the song, which became extremely popular, and propelled Freddie and the Dreamers to pop-music stardom.

During the whole song they were doing the dance which have become a minor dance fad, The Freddie.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD