Tommy Dorsey

Started by admin, November 26, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Thomas Francis "Tommy" Dorsey Jr. (/ˈdɔːrsi/, November 19, 1905 – November 26, 1956)[1] was an American jazz trombonist, composer, conductor and bandleader of the Big Band era.

He was known as the "Sentimental Gentleman of Swing", because of his smooth-toned trombone playing. His technical skill on the trombone gave him renown among other musicians. He was the younger brother of bandleader Jimmy Dorsey. After Dorsey broke with his brother in the mid-1930s, he led an extremely popular and highly successful band from the late 1930s into the 1950s. He is best remembered for standards such as "Opus One," "Song of India," "Marie," "On Treasure Island," and his biggest hit single "I'll Never Smile Again."
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7DWoLySW8

"I'll Never Smile Again" is a 1940 song written by Ruth Lowe.

The most successful and best-known version of the song was recorded by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra, with vocals provided by Frank Sinatra and The Pied Pipers. This recording was released as a Victor 78, 26628A, in 1940. This version was number one on Billboard's first "National List of Best Selling Retail Records" -- the first official national music chart -- on July 27, 1940, staying at the top spot for 12 weeks, through October 12, 1940.

The tune was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1982.  "I'll Never Smile Again" was recorded with vocals by Frank Sinatra and the Pied Pipers.  Glenn Miller and His Orchestra also recorded a version of the song in 1940 on RCA Bluebird.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrJTxB_ljo0

"Once in a While" is a popular song, written by Michael Edwards with lyrics by Bud Green. The song was published in 1937.

The song is a much-recorded standard. Tommy Dorsey's recording in 1937 went to number one in the United States.

One of the best-known recordings was made by Patti Page in 1952 (on Mercury 5867). The song was revived in doo-wop style by the Chimes in 1960, and their version peaked at number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100 in January 1961.

At the end of the instrumental "Stucco Homes" on the third volume of Frank Zappa's 1981 album Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, drummer Terry Bozzio sings the hook of this song.

•  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2aEmcEbyg

Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra (recorded November 14, 1944, released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-1608, with the flip side "I Dream of You (More than You Dream I Do),[2] re-released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2008, with the flip side "Chicago"[3]) The Dorsey version was used in Woody Allen's film Radio Days. (1987)
  •  

admin

•