Melissa Etheridge

Started by montage, May 23, 2017, 01:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Melissa Lou Etheridge (born May 29, 1961) is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and activist. Her self-titled debut album Melissa Etheridge was released in 1988 and became an underground success.

The album peaked at No. 22 on the Billboard 200, and its lead single, "Bring Me Some Water", garnered Etheridge her first Grammy Award nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Female. In 1993, Etheridge won her first Grammy award for her single "Ain't It Heavy" from her third album, Never Enough. Later that year, she released what would become her mainstream breakthrough album, Yes I Am.

Its tracks "I'm the Only One" and "Come to My Window" both reached the top 30 in the United States, and the latter earned Etheridge her second Grammy award. Yes I Am peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard 200, and spent 138 weeks on the chart,  earning a RIAA certification of 6x Platinum,  her largest to date.

In October 2004, Etheridge was diagnosed with breast cancer, and underwent surgery and chemotherapy.

At the 2005 Grammy Awards, she made a return to the stage and, although bald from chemotherapy, performed a tribute to Janis Joplin with the song "Piece of My Heart".  Etheridge's performance was widely lauded, with India.Arie writing "I Am Not My Hair" about Etheridge. Later that year, Etheridge released her first compilation album, Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled. The album was a success, peaking at No. 14 on the Billboard 200, and going Gold almost immediately. Her latest studio album is This Is M.E..

Etheridge is known for her mixture of "confessional lyrics, pop-based folk-rock, and raspy, smoky vocals."[3] She has also been a gay and lesbian activist since her public coming out in January 1993.

She has received fifteen Grammy Award nominations throughout her career, winning two, in 1993 and 1995, respectively. In 2007, she won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "I Need to Wake Up" from the film An Inconvenient Truth. In September 2011, Etheridge received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cOdgnehI-M

Like the Way I Do" is a Melissa Etheridge song, the second single from her debut album Melissa Etheridge (1988).

The song was actually written years before the album was recorded. Melissa Etheridge had already played it during her live concerts, where it was the first of her own compositions that kept being requested by the audience. The intro of the song was created by coincidence when the singer played one of her other songs - "I Want You" - backwards on a cassette recorder.

Like many other songs on the album ("Bring Me Some Water", "Similar Features", "Don't You Need"...), "Like the Way I Do" deals with the non-monogamous relationship she was in at the time. In the lyrics she asks her lover, who had told her that she had a crush on someone else, what she sees in the other person and what that person is giving to her what she herself cannot: "Tell me does she love you like the way I love you, does she stimulate you, attract and captivate you?". In the verses she also accuses her lover of not putting enough effort on making the relationship work: "You found out to love me you have to climb some fences".
"Like the Way I Do" is one of Etheridge's most famous songs and in her autobiography, she states:
"   "Like the Way I Do" is definitely one of my best songs. It is filled with passion and agony and desire and utter gut-wrenching pain. If you've ever seen me in concert, you know that when I perform that song, it becomes a part of me. It's a transforming song for both the audience and me.   "

Etheridge also says that the studio version is actually a short version of the song since when she performs it live, she improvises a lot which sometimes makes the song last 15 to 20 minutes.
  •  

admin

Midi - Melissa Etheridge

Melissa Etheridge - Come To My Window Midi Only.mid
Melissa Etheridge - I'm The Only One Midi Only.mid
Melissa Etheridge - If I Wanted To Midi Only.mid
Melissa Etheridge - Watching Yo Midi Onlyu.mid
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •