Jo Stafford 1

Started by admin, November 06, 2018, 09:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Jo Elizabeth Stafford (November 12, 1917 – July 16, 2008) was an American traditional pop music singer and occasional actress, whose career spanned five decades from the late 1930s to the early 1980s.

Admired for the purity of her voice, she originally underwent classical training to become an opera singer before following a career in popular music, and by 1955 had achieved more worldwide record sales than any other female artist. Her 1952 song "You Belong to Me" topped the charts in the United States and United Kingdom, the record becoming the first by a female artist to reach number one on the U.K. Singles Chart.

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjDqMftHbKI

"No Other Love" is a show tune from the 1953 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Me and Juliet.

Richard Rodgers originally composed this tune (with the title "Beneath the Southern Cross") for the NBC television series Victory at Sea (1952/1953). When Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II collaborated on Me and Juliet, Rodgers took his old melody and set it to new words by Hammerstein, producing the song "No Other Love". The song has a tango rhythm (referred to by Rodgers as a "languid tango" in his autobiography, Musical Stages).

The 1953 song should not be confused with "No Other Love", a song of 1950. The melody for the 1950 song was taken from Étude in E major, Op. 10, No. 3 by Frédéric Chopin.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

Allentown Jail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg5WIuiXZQo

"Allentown Jail" is a folk-style song. Written by Irving Gordon, it tells the story of a man who is caught stealing a diamond for his girlfriend and ends up in the Allentown jail.

In 1951, Jo Stafford recorded this song. It was released as a single on Columbia Records.

In 1960, Kathy Linden recorded it as her first single on Monument Records.

The song became popular in the folk scene. The Kingston Trio recorded a version in 1962 with plans of releasing it as a single, but the single never came to fruition. Their version has since been released on various CD compilations of their works.

In 1963, a more harmonic arrangement was performed by The Lettermen and released as a single. This version incurred some success, but only to a minor degree.

Other artists who recorded this song include The Seekers, The Springfields (folk group of which Dusty Springfield was a member), Billy Strange and British singers Lita Roza and Karen Young. There is also a French adaptation of the song, "Les prisons du roy", by Edith Piaf, which was later covered by Marianne Faithfull.
  •  

steele

: thank you for the quick reply
  •  

admin

Ben

Please tell me who the Artist is ...... If it is a new addition to CSS, I would like to create a set ( Name, pic, bio, etc..)

YCF
  •  

bmarcill

hello

the artist is     Jo    Elisabeth  STAFFORD. 

ben
  •