Wess & Dori Ghezzi

Started by Geno, August 29, 2017, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Wess and Dori Ghezzi were a duo from 1972 to 1979, composed by US singer Wess (Winston, North Carolina on August 13, 1945 - Winston, September 21, 2009), and by Italian singer Dori Ghezzi (Lentate sul Seveso, March 30 1946).

After the discrete successes of previous years, Wess, formerly part of the Rocky Roberts Airdales, was in a tired period. Even Dori Ghezzi, after the great success with Casatschok in 1969, despite the release of some good singles, was no longer successful. In 1972 Wess came up with a song entitled "I Want to Stay With You", cover in Italian (Luigi Albertelli's lyrics) of the United We Stand of the Brotherhood of Man, and he chose Dori Ghezzi as part of the The same record company, the Durium.

The track, featured on 45 laps (on the back there is a Wess solo song), got a great hit. Wess had a soft, melodious voice with some blues grain that contrasted with the crystal of Dori Ghezzi. The recorders then decided to focus on the duo, which later became one of the most celebrated and most successful dance music of the 70s.

In 1973, with the song Tu in my life by Federico Monti Arduini on Lubiak's (F. Piccarreda) lyrics, Wess and Dori participated in the Sanremo Festival, getting first place in the ranking of sales.

The following year they won Canzonissima with the song A Body and a Soul, written by Umberto Tozzi, Damiano Dattoli, Luigi Albertelli and Lubiak (who became popular again thirty years later thanks to his use for a Sky advertising campaign).

In 1974, the duo published a 33 rhythm titled A Body and a Soul, which among other things contained Dolce immenso amore di Montanari, Landscapes composed by the Brothers La Bionda, Always signed by Italo Ianne and Cristiano Malgioglio and Among the memories one Night more than Riga.

In 1975 Wess and Dori Ghezzi represented Italy at the XX. The Eurovision Song Contest Grand Prize (Eurofestival) - held on March 22 in Stockholm - by classifying third parties with the famous Era composed by Shel Shapiro (text by Andrea Lo Vecchio and Lubiak).

Always in the same year they participated in the Venice International Music Festival with the romantic song It's the love that dies with Piccarreda's text.

In 1976 he came second in Sanremo, with the song "How are you?" Whom are you with? Of Minellono / Balsamo, and then returned to the Light Music International Show with the song "Loving Love of Beretta / Cavallaro" which will be their last great success, also reissued the following year as Sanremo as guests.

Also in 1977 they released the 45 song Leopardi and, in 1979, the album In two, with songs written by Claudio Daiano, Pino Presti, Cristiano Malgioglio, Pinuccio Pirazzoli. Two of them remain their last recorded record, with the exception of some LPs later produced by Durium when the couple had already dissolved, because Dori Ghezzi, who in the meantime became the partner of Fabrizio De André, had moved with these in Sardinia .

Wess and Dori Ghezzi will continue their solo career afterwards but will not achieve the sales and success rates they had recorded as a duo.

Wess suddenly disappeared on 21 September 2009, at the age of 64, following an asthma crisis at the Winston Hospital. In an interview released after the news of death, Dori Ghezzi says: "I remember the time together as one of the most beautiful and fun of my work. He was a delightful person, an artist and a bassist, perhaps not even aware of his great potential. If I can define myself as a professional, I have to get him, I learned the craft from him, he was the artist I was a choreographer. "
  •  

Geno

Un corpo e un'anima - Wess & Dori Ghezzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXFV80ZZMk

The following year they won Canzonissima with the song A body and soul, written by Umberto Tozzi, Damiano Dattoli, Luigi Albertelli and Lubiak (who became popular again thirty years later thanks to its use for a Sky advertising campaign).

In 1974, the duo published a 33 rhythm titled A Body and a Soul, which among other things contained Dolce immenso amore di Montanari, Landscapes composed by the Brothers La Bionda, Always signed by Italo Ianne and Cristiano Malgioglio and Among the memories one Night more than Riga.
  •  

Gianni

8) 8)
Quote from: Leonardo on August 29, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Un corpo e un'anima - Wess & Dori Ghezzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXFV80ZZMk

The following year they won Canzonissima with the song A body and soul, written by Umberto Tozzi, Damiano Dattoli, Luigi Albertelli and Lubiak (who became popular again thirty years later thanks to its use for a Sky advertising campaign).

•