Chris de Burgh

Started by montage, April 13, 2017, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Christopher John Davison (born 15 October 1948), known professionally as Chris de Burgh, is a British-Irish singer-songwriter and instrumentalist. He is an art rock performer who also writes pop-oriented material. He has had several top 40 hits in the UK and two in the US, but he is more popular in other countries, particularly Norway and Brazil.  He is most famous for his 1986 love song "The Lady in Red", which reached number one in several countries. De Burgh has sold over 45 million albums worldwide.

De Burgh was born in Venado Tuerto, Argentina, to Colonel Charles Davison, a British diplomat, and Maeve Emily de Burgh, an Irish secretary.[6] His maternal grandfather was Sir Eric de Burgh, a British Army officer who had been Chief of the General Staff in India during the Second World War.  He took his mother's name, "de Burgh", when he began performing. His father had substantial farming interests, and Chris spent much of his early years in Malta, Nigeria and Zaire, as he, his mother and brother accompanied Colonel Davison on his diplomatic and engineering work.

The Davisons finally settled in Bargy Castle, County Wexford, Ireland, which was somewhat dilapidated at the time. It was a twelfth-century castle which Eric de Burgh bought in the 1960s. He converted it into a hotel, and the young Chris sang for the guests there.
After attending Marlborough College in Wiltshire, England, de Burgh went on to graduate from Trinity College, Dublin, with a Master of Arts degree in French, English and History.

Chris de Burgh signed his first contract with A&M Records in 1974, and supported Supertramp on their Crime of the Century tour, building himself a small fan base. His début album, Far Beyond These Castle Walls, was a folk-tinged stab at fantasy in the tradition of the Moody Blues. It failed to chart upon its release in late 1974. A few months later, he released a single called "Turning Round" from the album, released outside the UK and Ireland as "Flying".

It failed to make an impression in the UK, but it stayed on top of the Brazilian charts for 17 weeks. This became a familiar pattern for the singer/songwriter, as every one of his 1970s albums failed to chart in the UK or US while they racked up big sales in continental European and South American countries. In 1981, he had his first UK chart entry with Best Moves, a collection culled from his early albums. It set the stage for 1982's Rupert Hine produced The Getaway, which reached number 30 in the UK charts and number 43 in the US, thanks to the eerie single "Don't Pay the Ferryman". Chris de Burgh's follow-up album, Man on the Line, also performed well, charting at 69 in the US and 11 in the UK.

Chris de Burgh had an across-the-board success with the ballad "The Lady in Red" in late 1986; the single became a number one hit in the UK (number three in America) and its accompanying album, Into the Light, reached number two in the UK (number 25 in the U.S.). That Christmas season, a re-release of de Burgh's 1976 Christmas song "A Spaceman Came Travelling" became a Top 40 hit in the UK.

Flying Colours, his follow-up to Into the Light, entered the British charts at number one upon its 1988 release, yet it failed to make the American charts. De Burgh never hit the US charts again and his commercial fortunes began to slide slightly in Britain in the early 1990s, yet he retained a following around the world. This is mainly due to inactivity of his previous recording label A&M Records UK division in the U.S.

In 1997, de Burgh composed a song entitled "There's a New Star Up in Heaven Tonight", dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales. The song was released as a 100-copy limited edition and included on the compilations The Ultimate Collection (2000) and Now and Then (2009).[
In 2007, a concert in Tehran was planned for mid-2008, together with local band Arian, which would have made Chris de Burgh the first western pop singer to perform in Iran since the 1979 revolution. However, the concert never went ahead because he had not been given permission by the Iranian authorities to perform in the country.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zdg61SEdiE

"Blonde Hair, Blue Jeans"

Blonde hair, blue jeans, best thing I've ever seen,
She looks great, she feels good, lives in my neighbourhood,
And when she walks past my house she brings me to my knees,
It's like a long dark shadow falling over me; I'm talking 'bout

Blonde hair, blue jeans, she haunts me in my dreams,
I wake up, I fall down, I'm lost in what I've found,
Because she lies beside me and whispers in my ear, please, please,
And when I start to kiss her she just disappears;

I'm gonna be where I wanna be,
That's holding her right next to me,
I'm gonna get her in my life, anyway at all; I'm talking 'bout

Blonde hair, blue jeans, best thing I've ever seen,
We're so right, we're skintight, and I'll be with her tonight,
I'm gonna bring her up and take her on the floor,
And when the morning comes then she's gonna beg for more,

I'm talking 'bout, blonde hair, blue jeans,
I'm talking 'bout, I'm talking 'bout,
Blonde hair, blue jeans.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBGR3CfLxA

High on Emotion: Live from Dublin is the first live album by Chris de Burgh, released by A&M Records in 1990. The album was recorded at the RDS, Dublin in December 1988.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2YIpZWBqA

The Lady in Red" is a song by British-Irish singer-songwriter Chris de Burgh. It was released in June 1986 as the second single from the album Into the Light. The song was responsible for introducing de Burgh's music to a mainstream audience worldwide.

The song was written in reference to (though not specifically about) his wife Diane and was released on the album Into the Light. On the British TV series This Is Your Life, de Burgh said that the song was inspired by the memory of when he first saw Diane, and how men so often cannot even remember what their wives were wearing when they first met.

The song was a massive hit across the world, quickly becoming de Burgh's best-selling single and his signature song, transforming him from a cult artist into a household name in many countries. It reached the number one position in Canada, the UK, Ireland, the Flanders region of Belgium and Norway. It also reached number three in the United States during the spring of 1987. The song also propelled its parent album Into The Light to the number two position in the United Kingdom and success in other markets. The song was de Burgh's third UK hit single and the first to reach the top 40.

The song tends to divide public opinion and it was voted the tenth most annoying song of all time in a poll commissioned by Dotmusic in 2000. It was one of only two singles in the top ten which were not novelty songs. It was also voted the third worst song of the 1980s by readers of Rolling Stone.  It was chosen as the sixth worst love song of all time by Gigwise, who said "it is destined to grate on you at weddings forever more". In a 2001 poll of more than 50,000 Channel 4 viewers and readers of The Observer, the song was voted the fourth most hated UK number-one single.

Neil Norman of The Independent argued in 2006: "Only James Blunt has managed to come up with a song more irritating than Chris de Burgh's 'Lady in Red'. The 1986 mawkfest – according to De Burgh – has reduced many famous people to tears including Diana, Princess of Wales, Fergie and Mel Smith. The less emotionally impressionable, meanwhile, adopt Oscar Wilde's view on the death of Little Nell – that it would take a heart of stone to listen to 'Lady in Red' and not laugh."
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut01GXp9OWQ

"Missing You" is a song by Chris de Burgh, released as a single in 1988 from the album Flying Colours. The song reached the Top 5 in the UK, peaking at No. 3.  In Ireland, the song reached No. 1.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBBzprSq7I

Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" is a song written by composers Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin. It was originally recorded in 1984 by American singer and guitarist George Benson, and released in 1985 on his studio album 20/20, by Warner Bros. Records. This original version was produced by its own author Michael Masser, and was released as a single only in Germany in 1985.

The song was not released as a single in the United States, but nevertheless, Benson recorded two video clips for the song in the U.S. the same year, which were displayed on television programs. Two years later, the song became even more well known for a version by Hawaiian singer Glenn Medeiros, whose 1987 cover eventually topped the charts in several countries.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Agt2DWlI

THE TRAVELLER SONGTEXT

In from the coast
Riding like the wind and racing the moon
Shadows on the road
Dancing and a-weaving like a crazy fool
A horseman is coming
Death in his heart for a rendezvous
And where the traveller goes
No-body knows
Where the traveller goes
No-body knows

A Candle in the night
Fear on every face when he goes inside
(Maybe he's on the run)
Get back from the bar
A stranger in town is a dangerous site
(Maybe he's got a gun)
Bring a bottle of whiskey Landlord, I wanna talk for a while
And where the traveller goes,
A cold wind blows
Where the traveller goes
A cold wind blows

There is something in his eyes,
Something in his hands
You can almost smell his revenge
And whoever he is after, it will be disaster
This man is gonna take it to the very end

Well the landlord he trembled
Staring at a face he'd seen somewhere before
(You laid him in the ground)
Suddenly remembers
A killing, yes a murder many years before
(twas you that shot him down)
He said to a boy
Saddle me the black I'll meet you down below
With this man I must talk
With this traveller I'll go
With this man I must talk
Yes will him I must go

There is something in his eyes,
Something in his hands
I can almost smell his revenge
And it's me that he's after, it will be disaster
This man is gonna take me to the very end
And they were never seen again
  •  

admin

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD

admin

T4 - Chris De Burgh - The Traveller
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD