Create Song Styles

Jo Stafford

Discussion started on English - J

Yamaha
Jo Stafford
Jo_Stafford_color_photo_1948.jpg

Jo Elizabeth Stafford (November 12, 1917 – July 16, 2008) was an American traditional pop music singer and occasional actress, whose career spanned five decades from the late 1930s to the early 1980s.

Admired for the purity of her voice, she originally underwent classical training to become an opera singer before following a career in popular music, and by 1955 had achieved more worldwide record sales than any other female artist. Her 1952 song "You Belong to Me" topped the charts in the United States and United Kingdom, the record becoming the first by a female artist to reach number one on the U.K. Singles Chart.

#1 - November 06, 2018, 09:20:21 AM

The following users thanked this post: admin, brijen, Megerle, astor, harry t, Juhani, larrylstauffer, schotje, tony2004, Nicole, foden, mesipuu, theko
Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

Yamaha
Jo Stafford - No Other Love

"No Other Love" is a show tune from the 1953 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Me and Juliet.

Richard Rodgers originally composed this tune (with the title "Beneath the Southern Cross") for the NBC television series Victory at Sea (1952/1953). When Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II collaborated on Me and Juliet, Rodgers took his old melody and set it to new words by Hammerstein, producing the song "No Other Love". The song has a tango rhythm (referred to by Rodgers as a "languid tango" in his autobiography, Musical Stages).

The 1953 song should not be confused with "No Other Love", a song of 1950. The melody for the 1950 song was taken from Étude in E major, Op. 10, No. 3 by Frédéric Chopin.
#2 - November 06, 2018, 09:22:05 AM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: Megerle, astor, Juhani, tony2004
Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...