Create Song Styles

Tommy Dorsey

Discussion started on English - T

YamahaEZ PDF
Tommy Dorsey
Tommy_dorsey_playing_trombone.jpg

Thomas Francis "Tommy" Dorsey Jr. (/ˈdɔːrsi/, November 19, 1905 November 26, 1956)[1] was an American jazz trombonist, composer, conductor and bandleader of the Big Band era.

He was known as the "Sentimental Gentleman of Swing", because of his smooth-toned trombone playing. His technical skill on the trombone gave him renown among other musicians. He was the younger brother of bandleader Jimmy Dorsey. After Dorsey broke with his brother in the mid-1930s, he led an extremely popular and highly successful band from the late 1930s into the 1950s. He is best remembered for standards such as "Opus One," "Song of India," "Marie," "On Treasure Island," and his biggest hit single "I'll Never Smile Again."
#1 - November 26, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

New!
YamahaEZ PDF
Tommy Dorsey - I'll Never Smile Again

"I'll Never Smile Again" is a 1940 song written by Ruth Lowe.

The most successful and best-known version of the song was recorded by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra, with vocals provided by Frank Sinatra and The Pied Pipers. This recording was released as a Victor 78, 26628A, in 1940. This version was number one on Billboard's first "National List of Best Selling Retail Records" -- the first official national music chart -- on July 27, 1940, staying at the top spot for 12 weeks, through October 12, 1940.

The tune was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1982.  "I'll Never Smile Again" was recorded with vocals by Frank Sinatra and the Pied Pipers.  Glenn Miller and His Orchestra also recorded a version of the song in 1940 on RCA Bluebird.
#2 - November 26, 2017, 01:47:11 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:31:39 PM by admin »

The following users thanked this post: Megerle, astor, robot2001, plumbo, pedersen, tony2004, sermaf, Keynotes 123
Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...