Create Song Styles

Donna Fargo

Discussion started on English - D

Yamaha
Donna Fargo
800px-Donna_Fargo_in_1978.jpg

Donna Fargo (born Yvonne Vaughan; November 10, 1945 in Mount Airy, North Carolina) is an American country singer-songwriter, who is best known for a series of Top 10 country hits in the 1970s. These include "The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA" and "Funny Face," both which became crossover pop hits in 1972.

Fargo has won major awards since her debut in the late 1960s, including one Grammy Award, five awards from the Academy of Country Music and one award from the Country Music Association.

Fargo had been singing since her early years, but never thought about singing professionally. Fargo attended High Point College, then headed west to study at the University of Southern California. After getting her degree, she became a teacher at Northview High School in Covina, California, eventually progressing to head of the English Department.  While in California, she met Stan Silver, who became her manager when Fargo was performing in California clubs and first seeking a career in music. At this point, Fargo was still teaching. Fargo and Silver married in 1968.

She soon started to appear around Los Angeles, California while teaching. She went to Phoenix in 1966, adopted the name Donna Fargo, and recorded her first single. Her first major concert was with Ray Price, and she began playing in Southern California.  Fargo recorded for a few small labels in the early 1960s, including Ramco and Challenge, but songs like "Who's Been Sleeping on My Side of the Bed" did not catch fire.  Although her original singles were not successful, the Academy of Country Music Awards named her the "Top New Female Vocalist" award in 1969.  In 1972, Fargo recorded a single for the Decca label before achieving her breakthrough later that year.
#1 - June 07, 2017, 09:16:17 AM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:49:52 AM by admin »

Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

Yamaha
Donna Fargo - How Great Thou Art
#2 - June 07, 2017, 09:18:02 AM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:19:27 AM by admin »

The following users thanked this post: Megerle, steele, astor, Tormod54, robot2001, mistypus, Alf Larsson, tony2004, Mozzer

New!
EZ PDF
Donna Fargo - Funny Face

"Funny Face' is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Donna Fargo. It was released in July 1972 as the second single from the album The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA. "Funny Face" hit number one on the country chart and was a Gold Record. "Funny Face" remained number one for three weeks and spent a total of fourteen weeks on the chart. "Funny Face" also crossed over to the pop chart, peaking at number five.

Fargo revealed to Tom Roland in The Billboard Book of Number One Country Hits that she originally offered comedian George Lindsey the chance to record the song first, but he turned it down. "It was a natural song for me to write, 'cause my husband used to call me 'funny face' and I used to call him 'fuzzy face' because he always wore a beard," she told Roland. "It was just kind of a little song to him." She wrote 16 verses to it but decided to use only the first two in her record.
#3 - December 29, 2017, 12:24:56 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:49:45 PM by admin »

The following users thanked this post: astor, robot2001, tony2004

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...