Create Song Styles

Could it be a marriage

Discussion started on General topics

johnnie

Could it be a marriage
I am seriously thinking about going onto the Korg PA4x so I am trying to get as much info together to help me decide. I currently have a PA900 and also use with it a Behringer foot controller which I have programmed with the aid of a friend in Canada it works very well but with  4x I would be able to use the dedicated EC5 controller. All the obvious improvements excluded one biggy is the Midi to style converter.
 I have EMC style works and what I convert are somewhat indifferent some are not bad some are bad and some are just rubbish but will the built in feature in the 4x make a better job. that is the uncertain question.
Below are a list of comparisons they are not mine I found them elsewhere anybody fancy adding to it.
Will the 4x give us quality convertions maybe there could be a marriage there 4x and EMC?

Pa-4x: 10x longer samples for the newly Improved Sounds compared to Pa-3x (or is it the Samples?)
- The 4x has the sliders, better for performance
- 4x has roughly double the sample memory plus the SSD drive
- Top-panel Controls are VERY similar
- the 900 has no 76-key model; not counting the Pa-3xLE
- the 4x has more Insert & Master effects per sound
- The voice processor on the 4x appears to have 4-part harmony, 900 - 3
- no PaAs for the 900; but 900 has internal speakers
- 700 more sounds for the 4x; and 100 more Styles for 4x
- 4x has MIDI song to Style converter
- 4x allows the EC-5 External Controller
- 4x is a few years newer, so internally there are likely improvements
- 4x HAS Maxx Suite; not on Pa-900!! (This is an update to my list)
- 4x Has better quality of materials used (From Fransman)
- BOTH models have "DNC"; while Kronos does not!
- 4x has Capacitive Touchscreen; 900 has resistive -- Capacitive is quicker & easier.
- Keybed action is reportedly better on 3x (4x) than on 900
#1 - December 01, 2015, 02:06:14 AM

The following users thanked this post: DaveH

Re: Could it be a marriage
Johnnie

The PA4X has my attention......I would love to have this board.
#2 - December 01, 2015, 03:43:40 PM

Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

johnnie

I have just bought one with PAS speakers :-) Its surprising what you can learn in a day. Happy Days
#3 - December 01, 2015, 03:58:59 PM

Do you have it at home now ?  So far so good ? 
#4 - December 01, 2015, 04:12:45 PM

johnnie

Do you have it at home now ?  So far so good ?
No not at home yet I have ordered it online so it will take a few days
#5 - December 01, 2015, 04:20:06 PM

I have just bought one with PAS speakers :-) Its surprising what you can learn in a day. Happy Days

Congrats with your new baby X-mas present Johnnie. looking forward to read your cons & pros when you've learned more about it.
Very tempted to buy one to add at the T4 stand, but here it's not to get before during next year.

Enjoy and have lots of fun!   :D

:smiley-music022:

#6 - December 01, 2015, 05:26:13 PM

Cheers & Happy Playing
GJ

You certainly don't hang about Johnnie. ;)  How many more sleeps will it be before it arrives? :D 

I hope your magnificent new toy turns out to be everything you are hoping for and more and just like Ron and Gunnar, I will also look forward to hearing how you get on with it.8)

#7 - December 01, 2015, 07:22:44 PM

johnnie

Gunnar and Dave,
To be honest it wasn't really a knee jerk decision. I have for a while now been communicating with Deebach about XMS pro and although they have developed it for the PA600 and PA3x it seems that it was going to be a while before they even get near the PA900 and they don't envisage developing it for the 4x in the foreseeable future so it leaves me with a dilemma! do I obtain a used PA600 and also a XMS pro which seems a bit of a step backwards or a 3x and XMS pro and bearing in mind XMS pro is basically a new sound bank would I regret going down those roads. Another option was maybe even get the Deebach Max and that is not ready yet so I decided I probably would regret going for any of those options.
As I am a Korg person I decided in the end that a new shiny top of the range PA4x would give me something to get my teeth into and bring a little bit of joy into my life. The PA4x obviously has a new feature being the Midi to style facility mind you I haven't got a clue how it works and as I am not short on midis it takes me down a new road and as I already have EMC to do conversions from other makes if it all works I will be delighted. As traditionally I am an organist I have thought for a long while that Yamaha has the edge as far as the organs samples are concerned but Korg have the edge over everything else OS all features (and I have been back to a Yamaha) so I decided yesterday it was going to be the 4x and as the musketeers always did I went for it.
#8 - December 02, 2015, 12:10:58 AM

.......... mind you I haven't got a clue how it works .........

And that's where I'll start when/if the PA4X arrives here in the future. Maybe a real good startpoint, explore as it is, and not compare to older models. :D

Nice to see Santa Johnnie bought himself a joyful present!!

#9 - December 02, 2015, 02:57:05 AM

Cheers & Happy Playing
GJ

johnnie

Unfortunately Santa wont be coming before Xmas. 76 key model out of stock and new stock not due untill mid January. I have left my order hanging and will have a surf around but it seems nobody has one well at least not at the right price. It seems most have depleted their first deliveries so it looks as though this is a popular buy at the moment. The upside of course I am likely to get a m/c that has had some bugs fixed I understand that there are a few issues on this front which of course there always are with a new model.
#10 - December 03, 2015, 01:31:10 AM

That's a pity Johnnie.  I just had a look at my 2 favourite music shops that are reasonably local to me (GAK in Brighton and Bonners in Eastbourne).  Both of them have the 61 key model in stock but it seems neither have the 76 key model.
#11 - December 03, 2015, 04:32:18 AM

johnnie

Thank's Dave yes there are some 61keys about but I would really like a 76 it gives you a bigger option and nice to go into the upper octaves without transposing. I bought my 900 from Bonners good price free next day sorted. I will just be patient as I say could be an advantage that by mid Jan the updates could well be sorted
#12 - December 03, 2015, 05:26:35 AM

johnnie

At Least found out one good thing and that is that Dynamic Audio (I have some) lovely organs and strings are compatible for PA4x
#13 - December 03, 2015, 06:23:15 AM

johnnie

Well some good news at least I am told that the midi to style works really well. Of course I would need one in my hands to confirm if it works for me.
I have phoned around in the UK and there do not seem any available due to the fact that the first delivery in September got snapped up very quickly and eveybody are waiting for the next delivery.
#14 - December 03, 2015, 01:18:25 PM

Johnnie

The midi to style will sway a lot of Users over to Korg......  I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this after a couple weeks with it...Exciting times !!!!!
#15 - December 03, 2015, 03:10:41 PM

johnnie

That looks like its going to be somewhere around the end of January. Happy days
#16 - December 03, 2015, 03:40:35 PM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...