Create Song Styles

Test of Deebach XMS-Pro

Discussion started on General topics

chellinoolmo

New!
Test of Deebach XMS-Pro
Unpacking and Installation:

When I open the envelope containing the stick, I find a very simple little black paper box, which is completely deformed.
I must look to find the stick, which turns out to be completely different from the advertised image.
Attached stick is the type that is used more and more to keyboards and mice - a micro stick 15 mm long by SanDisk.

This should have come in a sturdy box, suitable for storage.
Absolutely no declaration is attached - fortunately I have already received the installation guide.

Installation is quite straightforward, and takes about 7 minutes.

First restart takes 3 minutes and 20 seconds; while second restart takes 4 minutes and 30 seconds - very strange.
Strange also because Deebach promise that a restart will take 3 minutes.
So this information from Deebach is not entirely correct - there is a difference of 90 seconds more.

(I now know the reason for this: The 3 min. announced loading time concern the internal ROM data.
With XMS-Pro you get additional data in the RAM area and therefore the loading time must be longer than 3 min.).

After testing some sounds, I rebooted for the 3rd time.
Pretty soon it pop up a message saying:
"Some copy-protected resources have been found please connect the USB pen containing the original protected resources and pressure Retry or press Cancel to ignore them".

Pressing Ignore resulting only in the same message repeats itself, and Retry must be selected. After new 4 minutes and 30 seconds, the system started up normally.
...Or not?

(I found later out why this message pops up; this is simply because the stick must be plugged into the keyboard at each reboot. This is not mentioned in the installation guide.
I also noted that the stick becomes abnormally hot, even after a short time; something I have not experienced with some other sticks
).

Only the drums gives sound - everything else is dead.
New restart; all is OK.

This indicates that Deebach`s OS is very unstable and I think that the system will have major problems dealing with my midi to styles.
It is normal that Korg`s OS hangs up occasionally when working with midi to style; but I am not looking forward to having to wait 4 minutes and 30 seconds each time this happens.

This suspicion proves to be incorrect.
After testing different complex midi formats, it turns out that XMS Pro is absolutely stable - something Korg`s own system is not.
I have not had to reboot only once during this process, which clearly shows that this software is completely unproblematic facing midi formats. Excellent.
:musik01:

I was prompted to download a Resource Update from Deebach`s German website just before I received the stick.
This I have now tried in vain to install; I get the following message:
"The backup file is damaged. Therefore, the Resource procedure will be interrupted".

I have as a precaution downloaded the backup several times; to make sure that the cause can not be attributed to poor network connection.
Same result.
I now have an ongoing dialogue with Deebach to solve this problem. 8)

All this, however, is to live with (maybe), if the upgrade provides significantly better sound.
This is certainly the case, and I will try to give a description of the various instruments changing sound soon.

PS: I was thinking of making a list of all instruments, but this is going to take awfully long time ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Sound:

The sound, yes ... 8)
This is the most important of all; if the sound is not good enough, the product is worthless.
Just as it is said: The sound is generally exceptionally good.
The dynamics are shockingly good for several instruments; they respond almost as if the touch sensivity should have been extended by 2 steps. Bravo. :musik01:

The instruments I think stands out in particular, are:
Piano, Harmonica, Organ (exceptionally), Guitar (exceptionally), Vocal (exceptionally), Trumpet (exceptionally), Brass, Sax (exceptionally) Woodwind (exceptionally), Bass (exceptionally)
and finally Pedal Steel, which is now actually possible to use - this has been totally useless before.

Bass have been much better for Acoustic Bass and Fretless.
Drums are a bit unusual; These have a much greater variety than before, and is clearly better for many types of music - I can not quite put my finger on what I miss.

I think certainly that I have found the reason why the drums sound a little different:
Most of all sounds have gained an extended dynamic range, and this dynamic is particularly evident in the bass range.
I have experimented a bit with the settings in Maxx Master EQ, and if I add a few dB in the treble range, sounding drums brilliantly.

One thing is clear:
Pianos, organs, vocals, guitars and blow instruments have been given a new dimension - it is almost so that you can see the shadow of Korg Kronos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibility:

Compatibility is not equally important for all; but for my part this is of crucial importance.
Because I am constantly working on different conversions, this must work.

I have tested for compatibility against my midi to styles that I have made for PA3x, and  this works surprisingly well - some styles have gotten much better sound,
and my previous edits for selecting instruments have been interpreted very correct by XMS Pro.

Some tweaking is however necessary; but this is impossible to avoid; various instruments have different levels.
I experience a joy of playing that I have never before experienced with any keyboard.
This is in other words adequate. 8)

I will timely check the compatibility regarding styles that are customized with XMS Pro - how these works on a standard PA3x.
Ideally I'd had 2 pieces PA3x; but I'm not a millionaire, and therefore this must be done in the following way:
The keyboard must be reconfigured to the factory version. This can be done within a few minutes using Korg`s standard procedure.
This is the most crucial process regarding XMS Pro`s final judgment.

Substitute ability/compability compared to GM/XG etc.

PS:
I happened to come to play a midi file through the keyboard.
What a big shock - the soundstage is totally changed - midi files (all I've tried) is beyond a quality I ever have heard before; at least as good as an internal style.
Bravo, Mr. Deebach!  :musik01:

To create styles from MIDI is a dream with XMS Pro; the compatibility between the various MIDI formats are better than anything else I've tried
- even Yamaha, which has been the regent in this field must give emphatic lost to this system's superior compatibility.

Although this may be somewhat premature to say, it appears that one of my main goals have been met.
Well done, Deebach 8)

Conclusion:

This is the best product I've tried for keyboards.
It adds an exceptional sound quality and stability, far exceeding Korg`s standard for PA3x.
Moreover, compatibility across different midi standards is unsurpassed - it handles all formats I've tested without OS crashes.

In addition, this software works wonderfully well with EMC Style Works, which minimizes the need for tweaking and revoicing for all conversions on the keyboard.
As if this were not enough, I find that the sounds sound better and better every time I hear them.
This is the hallmark of quality - just like a really good song gets better and better - you never get tired of listening.

Sonically and functionally I have therefore no negative remarks.

My only negative objections is the following:
* It might well have followed with a small box for storage
* Declaration of sounds is missing
* Resource Update can not be installed because of an unknown factor
* The keyboard can not be reset to the original Korg OS because of an unknown factor
* Start-up after installation is stated to be 3 minutes; where the actual is 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

Finally:

I believe that these remarks will be taken seriously handled and corrected, because Deebach has a support which is a model for the industry.
I will nevertheless give my unreserved recommendation to buy XMS-Pro.

One final note:
I have developed loudspeakers for over 30 years, and tested several Hi-Fi products.
In this context, the most important element is perspective; thus the extent to which musicians can be placed in the sound image.

It strikes me that the presence of perspective has always lacked for all keyboards I've had / heard. Also Kronos.

As I listen to different midi files, sounds instruments "live" - I feel like musicians standing in front of me and plays.

This is quite certainly something particularly outstanding - a formerly unknown dimension is added to our world from Deebach.

I bend down to the ground ...
#1 - November 09, 2015, 07:44:53 PM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:12:36 AM by chellinoolmo »

The following users thanked this post: DaveH

Re: Test of Deebach XMS Pro
This sound not very good. I am curious to read the rest of your deebach adventures. So far as i can see now it is a lot of money for a not so liable product.
#2 - November 10, 2015, 01:57:31 AM

chellinoolmo

This sound not very good. I am curious to read the rest of your deebach adventures. So far as i can see now it is a lot of money for a not so liable product.

Unfortunately, you may be right - XMS Pro reminiscent of the electric car Tesla; this car should have been boycotted worldwide because of the firm's speculative behavior towards the customers.
Obviously was not XMS Pro properly tested prior to the launch; and that this is not bad enough, they updated the software after I had ordered.
Therefore, I have little or no confidence to that this product is adequately tested.

I am afraid that the keyboard MAX is equivalent inadequately tested ...
I am also afraid that my negative list will be longer.
Some might think that I am unduly critical; but I follow standard procedures for testing, and it is important and necessary to be critical for the result to be credible.
#3 - November 10, 2015, 02:50:02 AM

The following users thanked this post: steele, baz66, DaveH

Yes, it's what i said before. A brand without a dealer network smells dangerous. I don't say that they are criminals but i do not like companies who sell only by internet. Especialy when we talk about instruments who cost enough. I want to see them, to feel them and to hear them.
#4 - November 10, 2015, 03:21:01 AM

chellinoolmo

Yes, it's what i said before. A brand without a dealer network smells dangerous. I don't say that they are criminals but i do not like companies who sell only by internet. Especialy when we talk about instruments who cost enough. I want to see them, to feel them and to hear them.

I remember you said this, yes.
You are wise. :musik01:
#5 - November 10, 2015, 03:46:12 AM

Yes, i am older than you. ha ha ha
#6 - November 10, 2015, 03:49:24 AM

Sorry to hear about the initial problems you are experiencing with this product Chello and I really hope that Deebach can provide solutions for you as soon as possible.
#7 - November 10, 2015, 05:34:54 AM

chellinoolmo

Sorry to hear about the initial problems you are experiencing with this product Chello and I really hope that Deebach can provide solutions for you as soon as possible.

I also - I am waiting for answers to my mail. 8)
They've been very good at answering my mails;
but we'll see how they handle negative criticism. :smiley-music037:
#8 - November 10, 2015, 06:18:38 AM

The following users thanked this post: baz66

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...