Create Song Styles

Conversion = distortion

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

Conversion = distortion
When converting styles or midi there will always be a certain amount of distortion coefficients.

This is because the instruments' definitions are very different between different keyboards.

A good example is a Tyros4 style - try to convert this to Korg Pa3x; then the problem becomes very apparent.
To convert Pa3x to Tyros4 is however much easier.

Why?
Because Tyros4 uses XG, which is very different from GM.
GM to XG is a natural direction; while XG to GM corresponds to a reversal, where the original source is not recovered and must be replaced with substitutes from GM,
which has quite different settings.

Yamaha is the brand that tackles these challenges best, while Korg itself is a challenge, and have trouble enough with GM; Korg works best with GM2.

Conclusion:
Be aware of the different formats limitations in relation to each other - and you can make good conversions with minimal distortions.
#1 - October 27, 2015, 11:32:27 AM
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:38:49 AM by chellinoolmo »

The following users thanked this post: bmarcill, DaveH

Re: Conversion = distortion
Very interesting comments Chello and in a way this fits in with your comments in the midi section earlier today where you mentioned that Yamaha keyboards seem to be more versatile in their ability to make most different midi formats sound good.

I keep thinking I would like to buy a Korg sometime in the future but I would miss the versatility of the Yamaha.  :smiley-music022:
#2 - October 27, 2015, 12:26:58 PM

chellinoolmo

Re: Conversion = distortion
Very interesting comments Chello and in a way this fits in with your comments in the midi section earlier today where you mentioned that Yamaha keyboards seem to be more versatile in their ability to make most different midi formats sound good.

I keep thinking I would like to buy a Korg sometime in the future but I would miss the versatility of the Yamaha.  :smiley-music022:

Exactly - my comments in the midi section gave me the idea for an extended comment.

Regarding your desire to buy a Korg, this is something I certainly would recommend, because Korg is better than Yamaha in many areas.
Korg is difficult to learn; but once you understand how to use it, it's Yamaha completely superior.

It is very fast to work with, and it has two facilities that no one else has:
* Possibility of 32 bars for Fills - with loop function
* Ability to delete all styles and sounds

For me this means that I can never get tired of Pa3x, because I can delete styles and sounds unlimited. :musik01:
#3 - October 27, 2015, 01:32:17 PM

The following users thanked this post: admin, baz66

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...