Create Song Styles

One problem less for MIDI to STYLE

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

One problem less for MIDI to STYLE
I have long been pretty sure some midi files need transposition to function properly when converting to a style.

My problem has been how to make such a transposition - but today I found the solution:
First I had to find a (free) program that could make transposition; preferably in a simple way.
After some "googling", I found the program Anvil Studio. After trying various functions, I found the way to do it - and it is done with a few keystrokes.

This new knowledge leads - as far as I know - to that all my future styles from MIDI can be played normally; without following remarks:

"Remember to starting in major; use all intros and endings with major.
Start to play free in minor."

Thanks to HellanPa3x, which somehow inspired me to find the solution, when I assisted him with Style Works.
#1 - August 12, 2015, 06:08:26 PM

The following users thanked this post: admin

Re: One problem less for MIDI to STYLE
Hi Chello. I use a program called 'GNMIDI' to transpose key on midi files to C Major before any work on styles.  :)
#2 - August 13, 2015, 06:17:50 AM

The following users thanked this post: admin
Best wishes, Keith..Mr Nice'n Easy

Yamaha Keyboard Kapers   TyrosMania     Korgpahelper MySite

Hi Chelli, can you please explain to me how to do this in Anvil. I have version 2015.6.02.

#3 - August 13, 2015, 06:52:15 AM

The only stupid questions are the questions that have not been asked.

chellinoolmo

Hi Chelli, can you please explain to me how to do this in Anvil. I have version 2015.6.02.

Ok. I have version 2015.7.02
I'll try.

1. Open Anvil Studio.
2. Open the file you want to edit.
3.GÃ¥ to the View menu and open the Composer.
4. Press the button Key. There is a button where you choose C Major, and a button for selecting C.
5. Go to the menu Track and open Transpose, then All Tracks in Song.
6. Insert an appropriate value; either + or -. Play the song in Anvil, and change the value until you get a C.
7. Drums must have originally key, otherwise they sound completely wrong.

(I'm not good with notes, then I compare with the keyboard C.
It is certainly an easier way to do this - but it's the only way I get it to work.)

8. Save the file as "Save as" with a supplement (such as EDIT), so you always retains the original file.
#4 - August 13, 2015, 09:13:25 AM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:47:27 PM by chellinoolmo »

chellinoolmo

Hi Chello. I use a program called 'GNMIDI' to transpose key on midi files to C Major before any work on styles.  :)

Thanks for the reminder - I've used GNMIDI many years ago to various other things.
I had forgotten to check this program with this feature. 8)
#5 - August 13, 2015, 09:19:52 AM

I,ve recommended this program for some time. It works slightly different than most daws.
When transposing,If you do all tracks, it seems to also transpose the drum track so that track needs to be redone to the original key.
Hope this makes sense. I now do all my songs with anvil open as well as studio one.
Barry
#6 - August 13, 2015, 08:39:22 PM

chellinoolmo

I,ve recommended this program for some time. It works slightly different than most daws.
When transposing,If you do all tracks, it seems to also transpose the drum track so that track needs to be redone to the original key.
Hope this makes sense. I now do all my songs with anvil open as well as studio one.
Barry

Thank you for confirming my experience. 8)
What you say about drums is correct - these must have originally key, otherwise they sound completely wrong.
I discovered this just a few minutes ago. :D :D :D
#7 - August 13, 2015, 09:45:03 PM

HellanPa3x

I have long been pretty sure some midi files need transposition to function properly when converting to a style.

My problem has been how to make such a transposition - but today I found the solution:
First I had to find a (free) program that could make transposition; preferably in a simple way.
After some "googling", I found the program Anvil Studio. After trying various functions, I found the way to do it - and it is done with a few keystrokes.

This new knowledge leads - as far as I know - to that all my future styles from MIDI can be played normally; without following remarks:

"Remember to starting in major; use all intros and endings with major.
Start to play free in minor."

Thanks to HellanPa3x, which somehow inspired me to find the solution, when I assisted him with Style Works.

And like that, one hand washes the other. ;)
#8 - August 19, 2015, 03:45:15 AM

Chello
It also pays to play each track individually (takes extra time I know) for any bad pieces. Check the tempo track for any tempo changes
and rearrange if necessary. I actually play the midi thru the k org to listen.
Once all transposing is done, I then save to a stick and evoke in the korg. I mute any tracks with no sound and re-save to the stick.
Then the instruments are changed and saved again.I record each track separate after adding fx. I no longer use the fx in the daw
because the korg ones are far better.
Baz
#9 - September 06, 2015, 08:49:31 PM

chellinoolmo

Chello
It also pays to play each track individually (takes extra time I know) for any bad pieces. Check the tempo track for any tempo changes
and rearrange if necessary. I actually play the midi thru the k org to listen.
Once all transposing is done, I then save to a stick and evoke in the korg. I mute any tracks with no sound and re-save to the stick.
Then the instruments are changed and saved again.I record each track separate after adding fx. I no longer use the fx in the daw
because the korg ones are far better.
Baz

Thank you for sharing your knowledge - I will remind this for future use 8) 8) 8)
#10 - September 06, 2015, 09:09:34 PM

Thanks chello
The work you do is very much appreciated.
We get very little help from korg itself but I guess they figure they have given all that is needed.
We the muso's must do the final work to put these gifts where other korg users can get them.
I think anvil is a gift that we cannot ignore. it seems to be the best little freebe that is usable to our methods.
I'm available to answer any questions to owners of pa3x on what I know and have learnt over 2 years of owning my pa3x.
I'm no expert but I can help with some things.
Barry
#11 - September 06, 2015, 10:45:06 PM

chellinoolmo

Thanks chello
The work you do is very much appreciated.
We get very little help from korg itself but I guess they figure they have given all that is needed.
We the muso's must do the final work to put these gifts where other korg users can get them.
I think anvil is a gift that we cannot ignore. it seems to be the best little freebe that is usable to our methods.
I'm available to answer any questions to owners of pa3x on what I know and have learnt over 2 years of owning my pa3x.
I'm no expert but I can help with some things.
Barry

Thanks again - I think what you know, complements what I know. 8)
And we may not be experts, but are willing to share our knowledge.
I know of several who know much more than us, but their knowledge is worthless; when they will not share it with others ...

Therefore, your commitment is highly appreciated by CSS - and its members. ;)
#12 - September 06, 2015, 11:23:08 PM

aprilla

Chellinoomo...
(I have a demo version of Style Works so have made a start, though I cannot save so I'm only getting used to the program and how to listen and select etc etc...)

Q. In this tutorial you are changing the entire song to C Major (I understand this and the 'why')
In the 1st tutorial (All That She Wants) you manually change the key in all parts except the Main Variations 1-4.
How do these two methods compare for you when both styles are played on a keyboard? I can't save so have no way of changing chords to hear the result each method gives.

Thanks
:)
PSR S900
#13 - October 03, 2015, 07:43:14 AM

chellinoolmo

Chellinoomo...
(I have a demo version of Style Works so have made a start, though I cannot save so I'm only getting used to the program and how to listen and select etc etc...)

Q. In this tutorial you are changing the entire song to C Major (I understand this and the 'why')
In the 1st tutorial (All That She Wants) you manually change the key in all parts except the Main Variations 1-4.
How do these two methods compare for you when both styles are played on a keyboard? I can't save so have no way of changing chords to hear the result each method gives.

Thanks
:)
PSR S900

You mean I have not changed transposition for Mains.
Change here is necessary only if the Mains must be set to Playback; here they must be set to Neutral, and then they will be played as 0 (Neutral) regardless of editing.

If I had put Mains to Playback, had transposition been wrong - normally this will have the same value as the intro - but very often not.
This is difficult to explain, and needs to be experienced. This work requires a large portion of musicality to understand.
#14 - October 03, 2015, 01:05:12 PM

aprilla

I shall listen and experiment ;)

...but I think not with All that She Wants anymore today... I am dreaming of that one at this stage  :o  ;)
#15 - October 03, 2015, 02:10:24 PM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...