Create Song Styles

Korg PA3x and MIDI - a nightmare

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

New!
Korg PA3x and MIDI - a nightmare
Just as it is said: PA3x is an absolute nightmare when it comes to MIDI!

I have experience with MIDI since 1994 via PC, and soon found out at the time that a really good soundcard was absolutely necessary.
A SoundBlaster 64Gold was acquired, and the sound could sometimes (via a good SoundFont) be absolutely fantastic.

Other times it happened unexplainable things that made the sound was totally unacceptable; instruments gave weird, discordant sounds.
Later I used different keyboards with PC and never had these problems - not until I bought PA3x.
Now I have a superb PC with DAC - soundcard time is over. Or ..?

To the case:
When I play back MIDI files from my PC, this takes place via PA3x USB connection.
A while the sound is quite as it should be; but suddenly - without any logical connection - everything becomes completely discordant.
Some instruments disappear from the soundstage, and it occurs echo. The only way to fix this, has been rebooting the keyboard; sometimes even PC. So everything is normal again. A while.

I have the latest OS for PA3x and latest MIDI driver. I reinstall MIDI driver regularly, without this having any impact.
It is very annoying to have to do this all the time, and I look forward to getting a Tyros. These problems will almost certainly disappear with Tyros.

Maybe Joso can provide a solution to this nightmare - if someone is competent to find a solution, so it must be him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:
PA3x with Deebach XMS-Pro eliminates all problems with midi;
with XMS-Pro installed, handles the keyboard midi better than any software I've tried.
#1 - February 18, 2015, 05:45:33 AM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:45:06 AM by chellinoolmo »

Re: Korg PA3x and MIDI - a nightmare
Not having the same problem here. Originally I did midi into a kn6000 and it was fairly good but the korg makes this great.
I wonder if your korg program (midi) is slightly corrupted?
I am using studio one DAW but for midi I use anvil sometimes.
I always make sure that the DAW is reading the korg so that I can set the inst on the korg seq.
Mostly of course they are GM. When satisfied with the sounds, I save to song play. I might do this several times tho.
I am sending a song (somebody to love) that I just finished. Some keylab49 tracks too!
I'm no expert and have only had my small studio 4 6months.
baz
#2 - February 18, 2015, 06:47:23 PM
Attachments:

chellinoolmo

Not having the same problem here. Originally I did midi into a kn6000 and it was fairly good but the korg makes this great.
I wonder if your korg program (midi) is slightly corrupted?
I am using studio one DAW but for midi I use anvil sometimes.
I always make sure that the DAW is reading the korg so that I can set the inst on the korg seq.
Mostly of course they are GM. When satisfied with the sounds, I save to song play. I might do this several times tho.
I am sending a song (somebody to love) that I just finished. Some keylab49 tracks too!
I'm no expert and have only had my small studio 4 6months.
baz

I think that the problem is due to software on my PC - poor cooperation between software and PA3x midi connection.
Many have this problem with PA3x and it seems that those who have it, never find the cause ...

Thank you for your mp3, incidentally!
#3 - February 21, 2015, 01:34:35 PM

Thank you Chello.
I agree that it is a communication problem. I don't know what computer you have but I find that many S/C's
are not up to the work required.
Perhaps an update? I have  used G force for some years and found them to be reliable when coupled with on board sound.
A simple update could solve your problems. Certainly worth looking into.
Baz
#4 - February 21, 2015, 05:49:33 PM

chellinoolmo

Thank you Chello.
I agree that it is a communication problem. I don't know what computer you have but I find that many S/C's
are not up to the work required.
Perhaps an update? I have  used G force for some years and found them to be reliable when coupled with on board sound.
A simple update could solve your problems. Certainly worth looking into.
Baz

Thx!
But I use a DAC; not a sound card.
Maybe I need to buy a proper sound card to solve this.
#5 - February 22, 2015, 07:59:54 AM

Definitely!!
baz
#6 - February 22, 2015, 06:32:16 PM

(snip)
Maybe Joso can provide a solution to this nightmare - if someone is competent to find a solution, so it must be him.

Hi

It is of course very flattering to be given skills to fix all kinds of keyboard problems, but I have no knowledge of other Yamaha product lines than Tyros, PSR, CVP, DGX, and YPG. Furthermore I have no knowledge or experience with other makes.

Sorry...  ;)
Jørgen
#7 - February 25, 2015, 11:47:46 AM

chellinoolmo

(snip)

Hi

It is of course very flattering to be given skills to fix all kinds of keyboard problems, but I have no knowledge of other Yamaha product lines than Tyros, PSR, CVP, DGX, and YPG. Furthermore I have no knowledge or experience with other makes.

Sorry...  ;)
Jørgen

Thanks for the answer! 8)

So; I found a gap in your knowledge... :D
But maybe you know the answer anyway - I do not have a MIDI sound card; I use DAC. (Digital Audio Converter).
And I think the problem lies there; I MUST have a MIDI sound card - I think this generally applies to all keyboards.

I beleave we agree there? 8)
#8 - February 25, 2015, 01:19:44 PM

HellanPa3x

Hi,

I have the Pa3x running flawless, playing midi both through "VanBasco's Karaoke Player Software" - and do Pro Tools 11.3.1 with the Pa3x to.
I run thru a M-Audio MidiMan 2x2 into my FocusRite Scarlett 18i8. THRU MIDI CABLE (Din5 cable old but good)

I had some simular problems running thru the USB before that, I ran USB directly into the computer - but the drivers from Korg seems to be OLD, and NOT very good. Since moving to ordinary midi-cables I've had NO problems at all. Have you tried shifting away from USB connection?

Hellan
#9 - February 25, 2015, 04:05:33 PM

chellinoolmo

Hi,

I have the Pa3x running flawless, playing midi both through "VanBasco's Karaoke Player Software" - and do Pro Tools 11.3.1 with the Pa3x to.
I run thru a M-Audio MidiMan 2x2 into my FocusRite Scarlett 18i8. THRU MIDI CABLE (Din5 cable old but good)

I had some simular problems running thru the USB before that, I ran USB directly into the computer - but the drivers from Korg seems to be OLD, and NOT very good. Since moving to ordinary midi-cables I've had NO problems at all. Have you tried shifting away from USB connection?

Hellan

No, I have not tried with the "old type" cable, because I must have extra hardware (or a MIDI soundcard) between PC and keyboard with such cable.
What you say seems otherwise very logical; windows alleges constantly that my USB driver does not work properly, even if it is the latest driver ...

Thanks for your reply - this makes it easier for me to choose a solution that works! 8)
#10 - February 25, 2015, 06:31:50 PM

HellanPa3x

Your solution is about a midi-cable and a midi converter approx. 500 Dkr away! ;) Then you have the best hardware, don't go skip your Korg hardware for Yamaha - that'll be a serious step back! ;) Don't give up!  :smiley-music037:
#11 - February 26, 2015, 05:20:48 PM

chellinoolmo

Your solution is about a midi-cable and a midi converter approx. 500 Dkr away! ;) Then you have the best hardware, don't go skip your Korg hardware for Yamaha - that'll be a serious step back! ;) Don't give up!  :smiley-music037:

Your choice of MIDI hardware seems to be the best solution what price and quality concerns. I've checked around, and your choice is solid. 8)

I'm going to acquire this equipment soon; perhaps the same as you have. ;)

And I will not give up PA3x - it's all too good to replace, but I will anyway have a Tyros 4 or 5 - it provides great opportunities with two keyboards.

If I have a little luck, can I obtain a Tyros about a week or two ... :smiley-happy110:

Thanks for your enlightening contributions - MIDI will be much easier thereafter! 8)
#12 - February 26, 2015, 06:40:22 PM

I might add that each time I switch on the pa3x, the usb driver says it does not recognise it. Not to worry.
It soon clicks off and the usb works. Might be diff on other comps.
You are on the right road again.MMMM
baz
#13 - February 26, 2015, 10:22:09 PM

chellinoolmo

I might add that each time I switch on the pa3x, the usb driver says it does not recognise it. Not to worry.
It soon clicks off and the usb works. Might be diff on other comps.
You are on the right road again.MMMM
baz

Just the same here, but the USB works very very bad after a while.
But this only applies to the sound from MIDI; everything else works 100%.
With a proper soundcard this will be solved.
#14 - February 27, 2015, 06:42:31 AM

HellanPa3x

This is the midi-interface I use, even though I have midi in out of my Focusrite Scarlett - I need 2 more instances, so I upgraded with this.
http://www.4sound.dk/computer/lydkort/m-audio-midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition

That setup leaves me just enough room for my Yamaha Dtxplorer E-drums, the Korg Pa3X, and (soon as I get the money stashed away) the Korg Kronos for more solid studio productions! :)

I do understand why a Tyros would make your style conversions much easier, it would also help to figure out how the Yamaha Styles are better converted to Korg - if you can record the styles of the midi to your DAW and examine further details. ;) Good luck with the new Tyros, when you dig in - remember to swing by here still chellinoolmo!  :smiley-music037:
#15 - March 01, 2015, 05:45:16 AM

chellinoolmo

This is the midi-interface I use, even though I have midi in out of my Focusrite Scarlett - I need 2 more instances, so I upgraded with this.
http://www.4sound.dk/computer/lydkort/m-audio-midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition

That setup leaves me just enough room for my Yamaha Dtxplorer E-drums, the Korg Pa3X, and (soon as I get the money stashed away) the Korg Kronos for more solid studio productions! :)

I do understand why a Tyros would make your style conversions much easier, it would also help to figure out how the Yamaha Styles are better converted to Korg - if you can record the styles of the midi to your DAW and examine further details. ;) Good luck with the new Tyros, when you dig in - remember to swing by here still chellinoolmo!  :smiley-music037:

I order my Tyros 5 yesterday; with Mutec 2GB, M-Audio Midisport 2x2 and Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Thx for your tip! 8) 8) 8)

And I am very curious about one thing; that nobody seems to be concerned - I do not know how this translates into English, so I use Danish:

Hvordan er klaviaturet på Tyros5 i forhold til PA3x? Der er enorme forskelle mellem klaviaturer. Tyros1 var elendige, mens senere modeller billige Yamaha var langt bedre.
PA3x er ikke særlig god på dette punkt, og jeg tror Tyros5 scorer højt her - klaviaturets fysiske egenskaber er meget vigtige for mig.

And I will still remember to swing at CSS 8)
#16 - March 01, 2015, 08:15:00 AM

HellanPa3x

I would definately prefer the Korg keybed ANY day over the Tyros. That's the main reason (and well of course the ability to change EVERYTHING to my personal liking in the Pa3x) that I chose Korg. However, I don't have a Tyros - don't think  I ever will (honestly) - so you should be more in the best position to answer the question yourself in some days from now. ;) I've only played the two competitions (except it was a Tyros 4) in 4sound.. But until now, since my i3 days I've never played a keyboard which had keybed more to my liking than Korg. In regards to the soundcard, and midi-port, it's definately a good choice - I've had NO issues at all with mine. I changed to Focusrite after both having a Mbox, AND an Presonus - a decision I've NEVER come to regret..  8)

It's easier to get styles for Roland and Yamaha, however in flexibility, playability, (style measure lengths etc), and the personal freedom to make "your OWN sound" - I will always prefer Korg - until the other brands step it up! ;) But would like to compliment the arranger with some new flavour as well as you, but my choice would lean more towards a REAL Workstation. Probarly gonna be the Kronos, as with 9 sound engines and SSD for sample playback it's far superior, plus the Korg keybed! ;)

I sold my old Korg i3, and went with Roland va7 - I've never regret a musical descision more than that before! :)

Anyways, good luck - and have fun with your new gear. I'm sure you'll also love the Tyros 5, for an arranger it's quite decent! :P
#17 - March 02, 2015, 08:41:50 AM

That'sinteresting hellanpa3x.
The focusrite seems to get good reviews and no knockers.
I'm currently using a audiobox usb and I have only been going on this audio recording thing for 6 months.
I will upgrade eventually so what are the main attractions of the focusrite?
Your advice will sway my decision I think.
Barry
#18 - March 02, 2015, 06:22:13 PM

HellanPa3x

Well for me personally (I have the Scarlett 18i8). I need the possibility to connect an addition 16 track AD/DA converter. This gives me the options (quite cheap too) to record mic'ed drums. I have 16 analog inputs, and 2 digital. I have 4 analog outputs, 2 hp's main output, and 2 digital outputs. This fits most users needs, however - beware that you need an extra ADAC Box (Ex. Behringer UltraGain ADA 8000). These are connected through Light-cable(optical), so NO latency. This is why I made the purchase. The pre-amps are quite nice as well.. ;) And the customer service was flawless, when I needed - they even provided an personal driver version, and I haven't had any issues since! (The errors I've had is that I lost connection on some pc-bootups, mainly after I updated Protools or Windows 7). But that's history now (knocking on wood) ;) :D

But check out more details on Focusrite official homepage..
#19 - March 07, 2015, 02:15:25 AM

OK will do! thank you.
baz
#20 - March 07, 2015, 06:29:27 PM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...