Create Song Styles

MIDI to Styles - How you can create a style from MIDI Part 1

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

MIDI to Styles - How you can create a style from MIDI Part 1
I will not keep you`re guessing anymore; so therefore I'm going straight to the point and demonstrates an example of how you can create a style from MIDI.

I have used EMC Style Works XT for Korg, mode Song to Style.
This program is very easy to use, but have clear limitations; something I will comment later.

The example I've used, is a good MIDI file from "All That She Wants" - Ace of Base.

The style looks like this, when Style Works has made its automatic conversion:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Start    Length    Transpose
Variation 1     13         2             0
Variation 2     17         2             0
Variation 3     21         2             0
Variation 4     25         2             0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intro 1           6          4             0
Intro 2           2          8             0
Intro 3           2          8             0
Fill 1            38          4             0
Fill 2            37          3             0
Fill 3            45          1             0
Fill 4             8          1             0
Break           10         1             0
Ending 1       77         6             0
Ending 2       77         6             0
Ending 3       77         6             0

The style looks like this, when I have corrected for errors:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Start    Length    Transpose
Variation 1      7          2             0
Variation 2      9          2             0
Variation 3     21         2             0
Variation 4     31         2             0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intro 1           1          4            -1
Intro 2           1          4            -1
Intro 3           1          4            -1
Fill 1            13          8            -1
Fill 2            21          8            -1
Fill 3            29          8            -1
Fill 4            54          8            -1
Break           62         2            -1
Ending 1       62        21            -1
Ending 2       70        13            -1
Ending 3       78         5            -1

I advise everyone to test this attached MIDI file with Style Works.
Follow the instructions I have given to fikke below this post.
#1 - January 26, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:42:07 AM by chellinoolmo »

Re: MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 4
That looks great Chelli but for me it is still like chinees.
#2 - January 26, 2015, 10:14:20 AM

chellinoolmo

Re: MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 4
That looks great Chelli but for me it is still like chinees.

If you start Style Works; Song to Style; Load GM Song (open attached MIDI file)
and see that you get exactly the same results as me, this is the first step to this not being Chinese, but multilangual.

If you play the result, you will hear how falsely Style Works has done its job.
If you then make my corrections, you will hear that you have an adequate Song Style. 8)
#3 - January 26, 2015, 10:23:33 AM
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:43:27 AM by chellinoolmo »

Re: MIDI to Styles - How you can create a style from MIDI Part 1
Hi ,I try to convert a midi file So I open the EMC XT song to styles and I play the midi and I stop at the end of the intro after I save to my desktop as SYS-EXCL.sts  After I open but nothing happen
May be I dont know how to convert
Will you help me please
I have a ketron sd5
Thanks in advance
#4 - January 26, 2015, 03:52:03 PM

chellinoolmo

Hi ,I try to convert a midi file So I open the EMC XT song to styles and I play the midi and I stop at the end of the intro after I save to my desktop as SYS-EXCL.sts  After I open but nothing happen
May be I dont know how to convert
Will you help me please
I have a ketron sd5
Thanks in advance

Ok; you can try to convert the MIDI file located here, and do as I have described.

Save Song to Style Project is only a working file, and to save this in the .pat format (Ketron), you must click on the icon that says Style.
First when it is stored as a style, it can be played on the keyboard.
#5 - January 26, 2015, 06:14:05 PM
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:25:45 PM by chellinoolmo »

I have a real dumb question. How does it work for people that don't have EMC XT software.
My guess is that this also would work on a regular DAW. Is that correct?
#6 - January 26, 2015, 09:07:26 PM

The only stupid questions are the questions that have not been asked.

chellinoolmo

I have a real dumb question. How does it work for people that don't have EMC XT software.
My guess is that this also would work on a regular DAW. Is that correct?

That`s correct. The processes are the same, but Style Works makes (trying to!) everything automatically. On a DAW, you have complete control over all processes.
If you have a Korg DAW, however, it is very problematic to find menus for this - the .pdf manuals are totally useless. Korg has chosen to save money by not producing manuals in paper ...

Later this year I will buy a Tyros 4, and then I can use midi2style, which is much more flexible than Style Works, and has far better automatic functions.

Using DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) I see as the ideal, but Korg is too complicated in my opinion, and are not intinuitiv at all in its structure.
#7 - January 27, 2015, 03:23:36 AM

Here's another dumb question. I have heard and thought that a style for the keyboard should be in the Key of 'C'.
Otherwise it would sound awkward. First, is that correct? Second, if that is the case how can you make sure that the
midi file will be in the correct key after you're finished?
#8 - January 27, 2015, 08:39:42 PM

The only stupid questions are the questions that have not been asked.

chellinoolmo

Here's another dumb question. I have heard and thought that a style for the keyboard should be in the Key of 'C'.
Otherwise it would sound awkward. First, is that correct? Second, if that is the case how can you make sure that the
midi file will be in the correct key after you're finished?

This is not a stupid question. To put it this way:
The sound from a style can become sick if you "over transpose" too much up or down.
But which key one style are made in have no significance, since all keyboards have the opportunity to transposition until + 3 / -3 octaves.

Problems can arise, however, if it is used voices that deviate too much from the midi file, and in addition are used transposition with steps of +/- 2 octaves via the software.
This transposition can be used on only one voice if desired, and if this opportunity being used without knowledge, will the soundstage become completely insane. I have heard many examples of this.

So that a style should be made in the key of C, is totally misleading. One should however avoid excessive use of octave transposition of a single voice - it is this that can give such problems you describe.

Moreover, Variation 1-4 have locked transposition from one key to another - it is only possible to transpose with clean octaves; and thus will the original key not be changed.
#9 - January 28, 2015, 12:14:54 AM

Later this year I will buy a Tyros 4, and then I can use midi2style, which is much more flexible than Style Works, and has far better automatic functions.

:D  :D  :D

Regards
Jørgen
#10 - January 28, 2015, 12:48:24 AM

chellinoolmo

:D  :D  :D

Regards
Jørgen

I knew you'd be thrilled that I will acquire a T4 (read: midi2style). :D :D :D
You know; the greatest curse of having a Korg, is not being able to use your applications. :D :D :D

Regards
Kjell
#11 - January 28, 2015, 01:02:26 AM

dprod

Chell:   Since I'm new to my Korg Pa900 and All this techy stuff.  I was wondering about your first entry here where you show the different intros, variations, fills and endings.
When we attempt to adjust the numbers as you have, to make these styles sound proper, do you just change the numbers "randomly" as a hit or miss, or is there a reason that you used certain numbers ???

Is EMC StyleWorks already in my Korg Pa900 or where can I purchase it?

By the way I love that last entry of yours very funny But true.   :D  

dprod    :smiley-music022:
#12 - February 12, 2015, 09:57:10 AM

chellinoolmo

Chell:   Since I'm new to my Korg Pa900 and All this techy stuff.  I was wondering about your first entry here where you show the different intros, variations, fills and endings.
When we attempt to adjust the numbers as you have, to make these styles sound proper, do you just change the numbers "randomly" as a hit or miss, or is there a reason that you used certain numbers ???

Is EMC StyleWorks already in my Korg Pa900 or where can I purchase it?

By the way I love that last entry of yours very funny But true.   :D 

dprod    :smiley-music022:

Style Works must be purchased separately; it does not follow with PA900. Here is the link to a demo of Style Works:
http://www.korgpa.com/support/bonusware.html
Check this site; there is quite a lot to find here!

To purchase a full version of Style Works; visit this site:
http://www.emc-musicsoftware.com/epages/62511965.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62511965/Categories/Standard

And the numbers I have chosen in my example is not incidental; this I will explain soon, in my follow up article; but in short: I make Fills in loops, so that the sequence can be repeated infinitely.
This can be very difficult to get to, and impossible in many cases with Style Works.

Style Works does this automatically, but the result is never correct; Therefore the user must make the necessary changes.
This places at times heavy demands on the user's musical abilities, but all this I will comment later.

The program itself is very easy to understand and use.

Best regards
Chello
#13 - February 12, 2015, 11:10:58 AM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:14:53 AM by chellinoolmo »

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...