Create Song Styles

*SFF style problems in Korg PA900

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

*SFF style problems in Korg PA900
On my PA900 I have discovered that the *SFF style files present a little problem with locking up the
Keyboard or you won't be able to select other styles. If you do load a *SFF style and try to play it you'll notice that the STS1 is flashing. That is a problem. However there is a simple solution for this.
After you loaded the style, before loading another *SFF style, press exit and go into the style play mode. There, most likely you'll see all the STS's empty and STS1 flashing. Before you do anything go and save the style, by tapping the tap and select save style. After you have done this you are good to go and you can tweak the style as you wish without any problems. Do this after every *SFF styles you load.
I hope my explanation is understandable and doesn't confuse anybody. Again, Just make sure you save the style immediately in the PA900 format before loading another style.
Please let me know if others experienced the same problem with these types of styles.
I do not know if the problem is also present with the Korg PA600. However, if it is, I am pretty sure the solution will be the same.
#1 - January 17, 2015, 09:20:57 PM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:12:04 PM by chellinoolmo »

The only stupid questions are the questions that have not been asked.

chellinoolmo

Re: *SFF style problems in Korg PA900
First of all I want to give a big thanks to Snorkum for this post.

Secondly, I will add that they *SFF styles he talks about is SFF (Yamaha) styles that are converted to Korg format.

I also occasionally experienced the same with my PA3x; so this may be generally applicable to note for all Korgies.

Do you like Snorkum says, this is however completely unproblematic to fix.
#2 - January 17, 2015, 10:04:56 PM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:11:35 PM by chellinoolmo »

Hi Chelli, you have a PA3X so can you not try them and adapted the styles before posting otherwise i think that a lot of people will have problems. So you do what Chris do for the Yamaha section.

I know when you do that you can post less in a day but it's better to have quality than quantity. But anyway you are doing a great job.
#3 - January 18, 2015, 04:05:21 AM

chellinoolmo

Hi Chelli, you have a PA3X so can you not try them and adapted the styles before posting otherwise i think that a lot of people will have problems. So you do what Chris do for the Yamaha section.

I know when you do that you can post less in a day but it's better to have quality than quantity. But anyway you are doing a great job.

Hi fikke, you have not understood this correctly: :D

I convert first Yamaha styles with software.

Then I test converted styles on my PA3x. I test all intros, variations, fills, break and endings of each style.
I do not tweak them, however, since this is a matter of personal taste.

Most Yamaha styles that are converted to Korg need tweaking and revoicing and when this is done by the individual, are also the style stored in his keyboards format.
As long as this process is performed, it causes no problems.

Chris do these things, because simply a quality assurance from my side, since I do not have a T4 for final inspection of my conversions.
In most cases, this control is unnecessary - they work very well without tweaking.

There are small differences between Korg their models - as it is between PA3x and PA900 - which means that no matter what I do, I can only guarantee results for PA3x.

I did exactly the same as Snorkum and had not his problems; which proves that there are differences between the models.

This means that even if I do the maximum, such problems could always occur on a different model than what I use.
#4 - January 18, 2015, 09:58:06 AM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:06:14 AM by chellinoolmo »

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation.

I thought that PA3X and PA900 could use the styles without any problem or tweaking.
#5 - January 18, 2015, 11:01:09 AM

chellinoolmo

I thought that PA3X and PA900 could use the styles without any problem or tweaking.

Unfortunately are almost all the styles that exist in Musician`s Bio & Style, originally created for Yamaha.
Many of these will after conversion play quite optimally on a Korg; even without tweaking.

Those who are less optimal, I will make better versions of when I see my time to it, and have provided material that is good enough.
I will primarily make all styles in Musician`s Bio & Style available for Korgies; then I will go more critical through the content.
#6 - January 18, 2015, 12:02:17 PM

That's great Chelli. Yes i know that the most you can find here is made for Yamaha but i thought that there was no difference between PA3X and PA900 styles, if i may believe korg Italy.

And Yamaha is still the most selling brand.
#7 - January 18, 2015, 12:17:09 PM

chellinoolmo

That's great Chelli. Yes i know that the most you can find here is made for Yamaha but i thought that there was no difference between PA3X and PA900 styles, if i may believe korg Italy.

And Yamaha is still the most selling brand.

Do not believe everything Korg Italy says - it is a fact that there are minor differences between the models.
Mostly this involves no problems, but the case I and Snorkum had yesterday, proving that even such minor differences may cause the keyboard locks up.

And Yamaha are the most popular. They also have ownership in Korg ...
#8 - January 18, 2015, 01:31:26 PM

Yes, i know . Now we can only hope that the korg will have the same easy way to load styles like yamaha.

#9 - January 18, 2015, 03:04:57 PM

That is partially true. I think as long as the style was originally made for the PA3X or on the PA3x it is possible to load them into the PA900 without any problems.
I have loaded many PA3X styles in my 900 and didn't have to tweak it and no problem. Even the instruments were OK. But for whatever reason, styles converted from
the Yamaha seem to have a little bit of problem with the 900 format. However, as soon as I save the style in 900 format, everything is OK. Just have to tweak some of
the volumes, instrument, etc.

Chelli, after you load the converted Yamaha style in PA3X to check them out, are you actually save the style in PA3X format? If not maybe you save them in PA3X format
before posting? Once save in this format than it becomes a true PA3X style. That may solve the problem. I don't know just a thought. Let me know what you think.

#10 - January 18, 2015, 04:20:21 PM

chellinoolmo

Yes, i know . Now we can only hope that the korg will have the same easy way to load styles like yamaha.

Ugh, yes ... :(
Korg is the worst I've tried when it comes to load styles ... :(
There lies Yamaha decades ahead.
#11 - January 18, 2015, 04:26:48 PM

chellinoolmo

That is partially true. I think as long as the style was originally made for the PA3X or on the PA3x it is possible to load them into the PA900 without any problems.
I have loaded many PA3X styles in my 900 and didn't have to tweak it and no problem. Even the instruments were OK. But for whatever reason, styles converted from
the Yamaha seem to have a little bit of problem with the 900 format. However, as soon as I save the style in 900 format, everything is OK. Just have to tweak some of
the volumes, instrument, etc.

Chelli, after you load the converted Yamaha style in PA3X to check them out, are you actually save the style in PA3X format? If not maybe you save them in PA3X format
before posting? Once save in this format than it becomes a true PA3X style. That may solve the problem. I don't know just a thought. Let me know what you think.

It is a good idea you have there. However, I have tried it. It does not help.

I can try to explain why this does not help:

I always stores to PA3x format.
When you later saves to the PA900, the format however will partly be read as SFF, as it was originally.
Yamaha has a quite different setup for styles in relation to Korg - guitars are replaced by piano, the levels are different.
Percussion is also often different. General settings for instruments are very different, which can provide major challenges.

Ketron is the brand that are most identical with Korg, and there are probably a lot because they use GM as standard. Korg uses GM2, which is pretty similar.
#12 - January 18, 2015, 04:49:14 PM

This is just an observation and no criticism.
Listening to you guys talk, it sounds like I made a mistake getting a PA900, but instead should have gotten a PSR950.
Again, just my observation. However, I have no problems loading styles into the PA900. So I have no clue what you guys are talking
about. I always thought it is best to give you the freedom of expression and the possibilities of arranging. Unfortunately that comes
sometime with a little price. Could Korg have made things better, I am pretty sure they could have. However, in that price range
I don't think I made a mistake. Yup, there are a couple of things I wish the Korg had, which the Yamaha does, especially loading in
Wave clips into the pads, which on the Korg I have to slice. That is a little bit cumbersome. I think overall, Yamaha fell asleep
and Korg bypassed them. And I used to be a Yamaha fan. Maybe someone can fill me in what you are talking about.
Just my 5 cents worth.
#13 - January 19, 2015, 09:30:35 AM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:33:03 AM by Snorkum »

chellinoolmo

This is just an observation and no criticism.
Listening to you guys talk, it sounds like I made a mistake getting a PA900, but instead should have gotten a PSR950.
Again, just my observation. However, I have no problems loading styles into the PA900. So I have no clue what you guys are talking
about. I always thought it is best to give you the freedom of expression and the possibilities of arranging. Unfortunately that comes
sometime with a little price. Could Korg have made things better, I am pretty sure they could have. However, in that price range
I don't think I made a mistake. Yup, there are a couple of things I wish the Korg had, which the Yamaha does, especially loading in
Wave clips into the pads, which on the Korg I have to slice. That is a little bit cumbersome. I think overall, Yamaha fell asleep
and Korg bypassed them. And I used to be a Yamaha fan. Maybe someone can fill me in what you are talking about.
Just my 5 cents worth.

PA900 is no mistake buying at all; if it is as good as PA800, then it is one of the best.
I have had many different models before; also a Korg PA800.
The sound and feel of "real thing" is also better with a Korg.
The tangent sense is better on a Korg.
Korg`s DNC voices are much better than Yamaha`s Mega, etc.

I mean Yamaha is better at this:
On a Yamaha, you can simply copy the styles to the hard disk, and play them directly. At a Korg you have to install the styles before they can be played.
The manuals is better.
There are many more styles available.
It is much easier to create styles via conversion, because the availability of applications is almost unlimited. There is very limited availability of applications for Korg.

My conclusion is therefore:
If you just want to play on the keyboard, Korg is preferable.
If you want to create styles (from midi), Yamaha is preferable.

And for fun:
I have no problems loading styles to my PA3x;
but it must be admitted that it was a nightmare to figure out.
I had a Tyros before this ...
#14 - January 19, 2015, 11:53:18 AM

Now I understand what you guys were saying. Yes it does seem to be easier to play styles from the HD, I agree.
Software wise I agree also. Korg is extremely limited on this.
I don't just want to play. I also want to create. At least after creation I can get to real thing(voices) as possible.
Like DNC voices, etc.

Thank tou very much for the clarification of all of this. Now at least I understand a little bit better.
#15 - January 19, 2015, 12:31:15 PM

chellinoolmo

Now I understand what you guys were saying. Yes it does seem to be easier to play styles from the HD, I agree.
Software wise I agree also. Korg is extremely limited on this.
I don't just want to play. I also want to create. At least after creation I can get to real thing(voices) as possible.
Like DNC voices, etc.

Thank tou very much for the clarification of all of this. Now at least I understand a little bit better.

It is always a pleasure to try to explain something, and that this contributes to overall expanded knowledge! 8)
And like you, I also like to create something. Actually everything is possible with our Korgies;
if Korg had the sense to expend more energy on creating a manual that is intuitive and logical.

It is unfortunately incredibly messy organized.
But there are fortunately many usable videos on YouTube.

Making sounds is something I'm going to do later - default sounds on PA3x is not particularly impressive.
This was many times better on PA800.
My first keyboard was a Casio ( :-[!) 811ex, and there it was incredibly easy to create sounds ...
#16 - January 19, 2015, 02:07:42 PM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...