Create Song Styles

Using a Midi instead of a Style part 1

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

Using a Midi instead of a Style part 1
Well not a plan really but a quick run down on what I have achieved up to now

I decided to start with something really easy a ballad by Elvis Presley so again
looking for the easy way I found a good midi file of it on the internet and downloaded it

This would be a very difficult song to reproduce using a style because of the arpeggio that
runs nearly all the way through, even a pad would have a job to follow the chord changes involved

There are only 3 tracks in the midi. The melody, Guitar arpeggio, and a synth all are GM sounds.
I started by reducing the volume of the melody track to zero and re saving it in a 0 format Midi file for my Korg PA900
I did this so I could follow the score on the screen of my Korg PA900 had I deleted it there would have been nothing to see on the screen

I loaded it in and played it, and all was good, a continuous guitar arpeggio plays perfect and the synth comes in at the right places

I will load the original midi file later, and continue with what I did next in another post later

George

Admin. if this is in the wrong place please move it to where you feel it should be

Heres the original midi file I started with
#1 - January 08, 2015, 02:48:30 AM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:56:34 PM by George007 »

The following users thanked this post: astor, foden, Edwin

Re: Using a Midi instead of a Style part 1
It's the perfect place....I will follow this post to see how you are making out....
I'm really hoping that this site has a lot of discussion on creating a style.
You are the perfect member that Chello and I are always looking for

Ron
#2 - January 08, 2015, 09:36:30 AM

Wishing you the best day ever followed always by better tomorrows !!

Ah George. You are on the right track.
Initially, I resolved to have a style for everything that I wanted to record. Then I realized my mistake.
I have a pa3x so similar to your 900 and they made the KB to do things like this.
I came across a few songs that I longed to play and tried to make styles. Sometimes fairly successful but mostly not.
Then I started playing with the midi files. Most are reasonable and some excellent. I have a library of 100,000 midis
on my hard drive so I started using them.
I can only say that you need to load them up and listen to each track separate. Take out strings and such(you can play them)
and convert to korg sounds.You will need the 900 midi driver and connection.
Then you will really start to rock.
I will follow this post with interest to see if I can help.
Barry
#3 - January 08, 2015, 06:22:34 PM

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for the reply and offer of help

Like you there are so many things by nature of the way keyboards work they are never going to give you a
accurate  rendition of a song using a style, especially if its got arpeggios in it, but for some songs a style will do just fine

Please feel free to join in on this thread and offer advice or alternative ways of doing things as I said I am new to this
so just learning myself

George  :D
#4 - January 09, 2015, 02:33:42 AM

chellinoolmo

I used midi your way a few years ago, and it could be very engaging to play this way;
and it is possible to use both hands completely free to bring up your musical expression.

And as you say; if there is to much arpeggio, it quickly becomes a challenge to reproduce.

I use the same starting point when I convert midi to styles - the easier file is in all ways, the easier it becomes to achieve a good result.

Often I create a variant of what you do, when I make styles:

I pick out long sequences of the MIDI file, and uses these as Fills.
Therefore, I can play parts of the melody using Fills and
personally I prefer this way to create styles of midi on.

It is much more engaging this way!
#5 - January 09, 2015, 06:03:07 AM

Hi chellinoolmo,

Its what ever works for you really, as I am not the worlds best keyboard player
and switching OTS if mid song or trying to set a pad off at the right moment causes
me no end of problems so I am trying it keep it as simple as posiible

George
#6 - January 09, 2015, 06:13:00 AM

chellinoolmo

Hi chellinoolmo,

Its what ever works for you really, as I am not the worlds best keyboard player
and switching OTS if mid song or trying to set a pad off at the right moment causes
me no end of problems so I am trying it keep it as simple as posiible

George

I use a EC5 Foot Controller to free my hands.
It can also be programmed as you wish. ;)
#7 - January 09, 2015, 06:35:44 AM

Hi Dave,

That`s really interesting the ability to add chords to the midi file, will have a go at that a.s.a.p
Yes using a midi dos open up a lot of possibilities to be more creative and adds to the performance
Styles still have a place but midi just gives it a little more,

One thing I am wanting to try out is creating my own midi files by using the multi track recording
that`s available  on the Korg PA900 but for the moment one thing at once

George  8)
#8 - January 10, 2015, 07:23:17 AM

Hi George,

The PSRUTI program is easy to use but can be a bit time consuming.  On average it takes me around 10 minutes or so to satisfactorily add chords to a midi file using the program.

Basically you open a midi in the program and there is a function you can use which automatically predicts and enters the chords.  usually some of the predicted chords are incorrect but you can correct them manually using the editor function within the program.

I tend to use the Ultimate Guitar Tabs site to find the chords for a song http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Good luck to you with creating your own midi files when you get round to it.

Dave :smiley-music022:
#9 - January 10, 2015, 08:00:05 AM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...