Create Song Styles

MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 3

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 3
Part 3

Erroll Garner was also in possession of a unique ability: He had photographic musical memory; he was able to reproduce the music he had heard long ago - note by note.

I will mention one more example from the history of music; example of negative perfectionism: Art van Damme.

Art van Damme is known as the highest paid soloist ever. He is also known for having developed a unique improvisation using simplified block chords, consisting of 3 tones,
representing the harmonic extremes in the chord.

The genius in this way to improvise on, is that it can be used within all genres and still be musically "legal". Unfortunately, this can also be very wearisome to an attentive listener,
since the same pattern repeats itself endlessly.

All musicians - regardless of their status - has his personal, unique musical fingerprint.
The more professional a musician becomes, the greater the chance of "growing fast" in their own fingerprint.

Most styles developers going into this trap - styles are too accurate, and thus little engaging.

My point here is that as a professional musician, you will sooner or later have to simplify and perfect your play way and forget your own development.
You develop your character, and forget to work on yourself.

I have studied releases from many of the world's greatest musicians throughout their career, and all (with very few exceptions) has been better earlier in their career.

I think that we - as amateur musicians - are better suited to develop styles, because we have not grown into this pattern of perfectionism. We are still searching for our uniqueness.

I hope you find this interesting, because I think this knowledge is very important for the person who will make styles in general.

(To be continued)
#1 - January 05, 2015, 01:38:22 AM

dprod

Re: MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 3
Chell,   thanks for your inspiring columns which forces me to "think" out of my box.
I found this very insightful and it actually made perfect (oops, I may have just locked my fingerprint in place  :D ) sense to me.
Thank you for all your posts which really are super helpful to me as a total newbie at programing and playing.

dprod    :smiley-music037:
#2 - February 12, 2015, 10:03:54 AM

chellinoolmo

Re: MIDI to Styles - our future? Part 3
Chell,   thanks for your inspiring columns which forces me to "think" out of my box.
I found this very insightful and it actually made perfect (oops, I may have just locked my fingerprint in place  :D ) sense to me.
Thank you for all your posts which really are super helpful to me as a total newbie at programing and playing.

dprod    :smiley-music037:

Many thanks; it's nice that people can benefit and enjoyment of my articles - then I have achieved what I try - to share my knowledge.

And feedback like yours, makes it more engaging for me to continue my articles.

Thanks!
#3 - February 12, 2015, 11:22:53 AM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...