Create Song Styles

<<< Worth knowing about conversions >>> UPDATED 09.11.14

Discussion started on Tips and Tricks on creating Song Styles

chellinoolmo

New!
<<< Worth knowing about conversions >>> UPDATED 09.11.14
Style Works can almost never exactly recreate instrument definitions (sounds) from the source to the target keyboard.
This is due to the fact that Style Works in practice using GM in the conversion process.

Only very rarely will this be placed as Factory, which is ideal.

One thing is worth noting:
If a keyboard uses instrument definitions that differ too much from GM, the level will be too high or low,
the distortion increases dramatically, and that at worst harmonies are completely wrong.

The world's best example of this: Tyros models with their MegaVoices; and Tyros 3/4 is quite extreme.

The various manufacturers have developed their own version of GM; which in my opinion makes conversions only more problematic.

They are as follows:

GS = Roland dedicated
XG = Yamaha dedicated
GM2 = Korg and others
GM = Ketron and others

The fact that Ketron is the only one of those that use the original standard - GM - is another significant explanation why just Ketron provides conversions with minimum problems.

However, I can see a solution to this problem:
If the manufacturer (or others) of GM can make a version that can match MegaVoices, the problem will largely be history.

Or:
Jørgen Sørensen at Yamaha forum has already done exactly this what MIDI concern:
He has in all his genius made the program MIDI Mega Voice Cleaner, which substitutes Mega Voices with the best suited standard XG voice.

If EMC had such application developers like him, would conversions have gone like a dream.
So maybe mr. Sørensen can help EMC; against the payment his work is appreciated ..?

NOTE:
Deebach have completed my idea and created XMS-Pro, which eliminates any problems with midi;
with XMS-Pro installed, handles the keyboard midi better than any software I've tried.

Everything you do in Style Works need minimal edits with XMS-Pro.
#1 - November 01, 2014, 12:39:32 PM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:01:33 AM by chellinoolmo »

Re: <<< Worth knowing about conversions >>>
Hi chellinoolmo,
StyleWorks has the feature of Reference Maps and Conversion Maps.
I haven't used this, always made adjustments after loading the converted style using the keyboard.
Have you tried using this feature and if so, are the results satisfying?

admar
#2 - November 01, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

chellinoolmo

Hi chellinoolmo,
StyleWorks has the feature of Reference Maps and Conversion Maps.
I haven't used this, always made adjustments after loading the converted style using the keyboard.
Have you tried using this feature and if so, are the results satisfying?

admar

I've tried it, yes.
The result was not better.

However, I have not tried to create a Korg reference map, which should be able to function better.

I have not tried these features with the new updates.
#3 - November 01, 2014, 04:50:55 PM

Okay, thank you.
I will look into this, but I guess I like to keep control over all aspects when converting styles.
Might save some time to have a better starting point when finetuning the conversions.
#4 - November 01, 2014, 04:58:25 PM

chellinoolmo

Okay, thank you.
I will look into this, but I guess I like to keep control over all aspects when converting styles.
Might save some time to have a better starting point when finetuning the conversions.

I have an idea I will soon begin testing;
to develop my own sounds for Korg reference map; sounds that sounds like MegaVoices.
If possible. 8)
#5 - November 01, 2014, 05:32:30 PM

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...