Chris Rea

Started by kastelfan, August 02, 2009, 12:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kastelfan

Christopher Anton Rea (/ˈriːə/ ree-ə; born 4 March 1951)  is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist, recognisable for his distinctive, husky voice and slide guitar playing.  The British Hit Singles & Albums stated that Rea was "one of the most popular UK singer-songwriters of the late 1980s. He was already a major European star by the time he finally cracked the UK Top 10 with his 18th chart entry; "The Road to Hell (Part 2)".  As of 2009, he has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide.

In America he is best known for the 1978 hit song "Fool (If You Think It's Over)" that reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent three weeks at No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. This success earned him a Grammy nomination as Best New Artist in 1979.  His other hit songs include, "I Can Hear Your Heartbeat", "Stainsby Girls", "On the Beach" (Adult Contemporary No. 9), "Let's Dance", "Josephine", "Driving Home for Christmas", "I Just Wanna Be with You", "Looking for a Rainbow", "Tell Me There's a Heaven", "Auberge", "And You My Love", "Looking for the Summer", "Winter Song", "Nothing To Fear", "Julia", "Working On It" (Mainstream Rock No. 1), and "If You Were Me", a duet with Elton John.

Two of his studio albums, The Road to Hell and Auberge, topped the UK Albums Chart. Rea was nominated three times for the Brit Award for Best British Male Artist: in 1988, 1989 and 1990. The book Guinness Rockopedia described him as a "gravel-voiced guitar stalwart".
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: astor, luisil

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uey6VktC5ms

"Driving Home for Christmas" is a popular single written by Chris Rea and released in 1986.  The song peaked at #53 in the UK Single Chart in 1988, and re-entered the chart in 2007, peaking at #33. It reached a brand new peak of #26 in 2016.  Although it had modest charting, the single has a brief chart appearance every year in the Top 40,  and is featured among the Top 10 Christmas singles.

It was used in Christmas commercials for supermarket chain Iceland in 1997, 1998, and 2011 respectively, with the latter featuring a cover by Stacey Solomon.  An alternative version of the single was released in Japan as "Snow".
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSui9_IBgao

"Fool (If You Think It's Over)" is the title of a popular song from 1978 by the British singer-songwriter Chris Rea. Rea also wrote the song, which appears on his 1978 debut album, Whatever Happened to Benny Santini?

"Fool (If You Think It's Over)" was the lead single from Rea's debut album Whatever Happened to Benny Santini? which was recorded at producer Gus Dudgeon's Thames Valley recording studio The Mill. The song's inspiration was the experience Rea's younger sister Paula had had some years previously of being devastated at losing her first boyfriend, "Fool..."'s lyrics being the advice (real or imagined) with which Rea had responded to his sister's experience.  Rea would recall that he had written "Fool..." as a song which Al Green might record:  (quote:) "I'd always seen it as a Memphis [soul] song [but] I never had the chance to voice my opinion about what I thought about the production" of his own recording of the song  of which Rea has elsewhere stated: "[It was in the] wrong key.

It ended up being this huge California thing [see California Sound]. It's the only track I never played guitar on which tells you something about the spirit of it. On top of that, it was just a huge hit. So there was nothing I could do. It was like: 'This is not me!'"  Rea did play keyboards on "Fool..." with the track's background vocals provided by Read and the Mill's assistant engineer Stuart Epps.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCmMaqG8_Q

"Josephine" is one of the most popular and the most successful songs by Chris Rea, released in 1985 on the Shamrock Diaries. "Josephine" was written by Rea for his daughter of the same name. Rea would later pay the same compliment to his youngest daughter, Julia, on the album Espresso Logic (1993).

"Josephine" is a track that Rea has re-recorded many times, existing in 6 distinct versions. The semi-acoustic version released on the original LP was replaced in later CD editions by the "disco" version, which is an edit of "Josephine (La Version Française)" AKA "Josephine Extended French re-record". The original LP version was later made available on the French release "The Best of Chris Rea" in 1998. Soon after the original LP was released, Josephine was released as a single, the 7-inch version of which was a completely different, rockier version. This version appeared again in 2001 on the album "The Very Best of Chris Rea".

The original video for Josephine uses this version but is approximately twenty seconds longer at the start. Then in 1988 two further versions were released for "New Light Through Old Windows". The version on the European and UK album is undoubtedly the most well known and was also made available on the 1994 "The Best of Chris Rea". For the US album a different, faster recording was released and is the rarest of all renditions. Finally in 2008 another re-recording was released on the Germany-only "Fool (If You Think It's Over) - The Definitive Greatest Hits"

The song enjoyed popularity on the Balearic beat scene in the 1980s.

•  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZlWqVeLzg

"The Road to Hell" is a two-part song written by Chris Rea and released on the album of the same name. It was released as a single, with only part 2 on the A-side of the 7". The single was his biggest success in the United Kingdom, peaking at number 10 on the UK Singles Chart.

The song was inspired by the frustrations of M25 motorway peak-hour traffic,  although some say that it was actually inspired by the A19 near Middlesbrough, where Chris Rea is from.[citation needed]

The South African trio Mark Haze (from Idols South Africa season seven), Dozi and Ghapi recorded a version on their album Rocking Buddies in 2013.

admin

•  

admin

admin

•  
    The following users thanked this post: luisil

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDxSW8mzvU

A Remake of this nice christmas song
  •  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMYpKRHUns

A Song request for a upgrade from this nice song

•  

admin

•  

admin

Road To Hell

admin

:49:
  •  

admin

:s_cool:
  •