Bing Crosby

Started by montage, April 03, 2017, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

1=  White Christmas
2= True Love

Harry Lillis "Bing" Crosby, Jr. (May 2, 1903 – October 14, 1977) was an American singer and actor ] Crosby's trademark warm bass-baritone voice made him the best-selling recording artist of the 20th century, having sold over one billion records, tapes, compact discs and digital downloads around the world.

The first multimedia star, from 1931 to 1954 Crosby was a leader in record sales, radio ratings, and motion picture grosses.  His early career coincided with technical recording innovations such as the microphone. This allowed him to develop a laid-back, intimate singing style that influenced many of the popular male singers who followed him, including Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Dick Haymes, and Dean Martin. Yank magazine recognized Crosby as the person who had done the most for American G.I. morale during World War II and, during his peak years, around 1948, American polls declared him the "most admired man alive", ahead of Jackie Robinson and Pope Pius XII. Also in 1948, the Music Digest estimated that Crosby recordings filled more than half of the 80,000 weekly hours allocated to recorded radio music.

Crosby won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role as Father Chuck O'Malley in the 1944 motion picture Going My Way, and was nominated for his reprise of the role in The Bells of St. Mary's opposite Ingrid Bergman the next year, becoming the first of six actors to be nominated twice for playing the same character. In 1963, Crosby received the first Grammy Global Achievement Award.  He is one of only 33 people to have three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, in the categories of motion pictures, radio, and audio recording.

Crosby influenced the development of the postwar recording industry. He became the first performer to pre-record his radio shows and master his commercial recordings onto magnetic tape. Through the medium of recording, Crosby constructed his radio programs with the same directorial tools and craftsmanship (editing, retaking, rehearsal, time shifting) used in motion picture production, a practice that became an industry standard. In addition to his work with early tape recording, he helped to finance the development of videotape, bought television stations, bred racehorses, and co-owned the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team. Crosby died at the age of 74 on October 14, 1977, from a sudden heart attack in Alcobendas, Spain.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSUT8Inl14

"White Christmas" is a 1942 Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting. According to the Guinness World Records, the version sung by Bing Crosby is the best-selling single of all time, with estimated sales in excess of 100 million copies worldwide.  Other versions of the song, along with Crosby's, have sold over 150 million copies.

Accounts vary as to when and where Berlin wrote the song.  One story is that he wrote it in 1940, in warm La Quinta, California, while staying at the La Quinta Hotel, a frequent Hollywood retreat also favored by writer-director-producer Frank Capra, although the Arizona Biltmore also claims the song was written there.  He often stayed up all night writing—he told his secretary, "Grab your pen and take down this song. I just wrote the best song I've ever written—heck, I just wrote the best song that anybody's ever written!"

The first public performance of the song was by Bing Crosby, on his NBC radio show The Kraft Music Hall on Christmas Day, 1941; a copy of the recording from the radio program is owned by Crosby's estate and was loaned to CBS News Sunday Morning for their December 25, 2011, program.  He subsequently recorded the song with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra and the Ken Darby Singers and Chorus for Decca Records in just 18 minutes on May 29, 1942, and it was released on July 30 as part of an album of six 78-rpm discs from the musical film Holiday Inn.

At first, Crosby did not see anything special about the song. He just said "I don't think we have any problems with that one, Irving." The song established and solidified the fact that there could be commercially successful secular Christmas songs —in this case, written by a Jewish-American songwriter, who also wrote "God Bless America."

The song initially performed poorly and was overshadowed by Holiday Inn's first hit song: "Be Careful, It's My Heart".  By the end of October 1942, "White Christmas" topped the Your Hit Parade chart. It remained in that position until well into the new year.  It has often been noted that the mix of melancholy—"just like the ones I used to know"—with comforting images of home—"where the treetops glisten"—resonated especially strongly with listeners during World War II. A few weeks after the attacks on Pearl Harbor, Crosby introduced "White Christmas" on a Christmas Day broadcast. The Armed Forces Network was flooded with requests for the song. The recording is noted for Crosby's whistling during the second chorus.

In 1942 alone, Crosby's recording spent eleven weeks on top of the Billboard charts. The original version also hit number one on the Harlem Hit Parade for three weeks,  Crosby's first-ever appearance on the black-oriented chart. Re-released by Decca, the single returned to the No. 1 spot during the holiday seasons of 1945 and 1946 (on the chart dated January 4, 1947), thus becoming the only single with three separate runs at the top of the U.S. charts. The recording became a chart perennial, reappearing annually on the pop chart twenty separate times before Billboard magazine created a distinct Christmas chart for seasonal releases.

In Holiday Inn, the composition won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1942. In the film, Crosby sings "White Christmas" as a duet with actress Marjorie Reynolds, though her voice was dubbed by Martha Mears. This now-familiar scene was not the moviemakers' initial plan. In the script as originally conceived, Reynolds, not Crosby, would sing the song.  The song would feature in another Crosby film, the 1954 musical White Christmas, which became the highest-grossing film of 1954. (Crosby made yet another studio recording of the song, accompanied by Joseph J. Lilley's orchestra and chorus, for the film's soundtrack album.)

The version most often heard today on radio during the Christmas season is the 1947 re-recording. The 1942 master was damaged due to frequent use. Crosby re-recorded the track on March 19, 1947, accompanied again by the Trotter Orchestra and the Darby Singers, with every effort made to reproduce the original recording session.  The re-recording is recognizable by the addition of flutes and celesta in the beginning.
Although Crosby dismissed his role in the song's success, saying later that "a jackdaw with a cleft palate could have sung it successfully," he was associated with it for the rest of his career.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuP2YQTUlE

BING CROSBY
"True Love"
feat. Grace Kelly
(Cole Porter)
[From the movie "High Society" starring Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong]
Suntanned, windblown
Honeymooners at last alone
Feeling far above par
Oh, how lucky we are
While I give to you and you give to me
True love, true love
So on and on it will always be
True love, true love
For you and I have a guardian angel
On high, with nothing to do
But to give to you and to give to me
Love forever true
For you and I have a guardian angel
On high, with nothin' to do
But to give to you and to give to me
Love forever true
Love forever true
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk9o_ZeR7s

"Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" is a popular song which was published in 1944. The music was written by Harold Arlen and the lyrics by Johnny Mercer. The song was nominated for the "Academy Award for Best Original Song" at the 18th Academy Awards in 1945 after being used in the film "Here Come the Waves". It is sung in the style of a sermon, and explains that accentuating the positive is key to happiness. In describing his inspiration for the lyric, Mercer told the Pop Chronicles radio documentary "[my] publicity agent ... went to hear Father Divine and he had a sermon and his subject was 'you got to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative.' And I said 'Wow, that's a colorful phrase!'"

Mercer recorded the song, with The Pied Pipers and Paul Weston's orchestra, on October 4, 1944, and it was released by Capitol Records as catalog number 180. The record first reached the Billboard magazine charts on January 4, 1945 and lasted 13 weeks on the chart, peaking at number 2. The song was number five on Billboard's Annual High School Survey in 1945.

On March 25, 2015, it was announced that Mercer's version will be inducted into the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry for the song's "cultural, artistic and/or historical significance to American society and the nation's audio legacy".
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR3CSWd55ko

"April in Portugal" is a popular song, also named "The Whisp'ring Serenade." The music was written by Raul Ferrão with Portuguese lyrics by José Galhardo as a fado named "Coimbra", about the city of that name in 1947. English lyrics written by Jimmy Kennedy were set to the music, though many of the most popular versions of the song were instrumentals. It is one of the signature songs of Portuguese singer and fadista Amália Rodrigues. It was also recorded in French by the tenor Luís Piçarra.

Bing Crosby with Malcolm Lockyer & His Orchestra, recorded on May 8, 1961, for the "Holiday in Europe" album - produced by Project Records and leased to US Decca.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWZ-xLWI1Qg

"I Love You Truly" is a parlor song written by Carrie Jacobs-Bond. Since its publication in 1901 it has been sung at weddings, recorded by numerous artists over many decades, and heard on film and television.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYitVIRxCPE

"In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" is a popular song with music by Hoagy Carmichael and lyrics by Johnny Mercer. It was originally planned to feature it in a Paramount picture which was written for Betty Hutton that never took off. That projected film was to be called The Mack Sennett Girl (aka Keystone Girl). The song was buried in Paramount's files until it was rediscovered  and then used in the 1951 film, Here Comes the Groom, and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.

The recording by Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman was recorded on June 20, 1951  and released by Decca Records as catalog number 27678.  It first reached the Billboard Best Seller chart on September 21, 1951, and lasted six weeks on the chart, peaking at number 11.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgvDariuAN0

Let Me Call You Sweetheart" is a popular song, with music by Leo Friedman and lyrics by Beth Slater Whitson. The song was published in 1910 and was a huge hit for the Peerless Quartet in 1911. A recording by Arthur Clough was very popular the same year too.  A 1924 recording identifies a Spanish title, "Déjame llamarte mía".
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luisil

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFgC7JhVrM

"Pennies from Heaven" is a 1936 American popular song with music by Arthur Johnston and lyrics by Johnny Burke. It was introduced by Bing Crosby with Georgie Stoll and his Orchestra in the 1936 film of the same name. It was recorded in the same year by Billie Holiday and afterwards performed by Jimmy Dorsey & his Orchestra, Arthur Tracy, Eddie Duchin, Tony Bennett, Dinah Washington, Clark Terry, Frances Langford, Big Joe Turner, Lester Young, Dean Martin, Gene Ammons, The Skyliners (a hit in 1960), Legion of Mary, Guy Mitchell, and Harry James.

The July 24, 1936, recording by Bing Crosby and the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra  topped the charts for ten weeks in 1936 and was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2004. Crosby recorded the song again for his 1954 album Bing: A Musical Autobiography.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkfpBf7VpE

"You Belong to My Heart" is the name of an English-language version of the Mexican Bolero song "Solamente una vez" (Only One Time, in English). This song was composed by Mexican songwriter Agustín Lara and originally performed by singer Ana María González and tenor José Mojica in the 1941 film Melodías de América.

admin

•  

admin

Small Fry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etgICudYf60

"Small Fry" is an American popular song written in 1938 by Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser. It was first sung and introduced by Bing Crosby, in the film Sing You Sinners (1938). In the film, Crosby sings it in a musical sequence with a young Donald O'Connor and Fred MacMurray.

Crosby recorded the song on July 1, 1938 with Johnny Mercer dueting and this reached the No. 3 spot in the charts of the day. He also recorded a solo version of the song for V-Disc in 1944.[3]

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9QLn7gM-hY

A Request for a song upgrade
Not really the time but ok why not great song and very old
  •  

admin

T4 - Bing Crosby - I Love You Truly
  •  

admin

:49:
  •