Connie Francis

Started by Geno, August 13, 2018, 11:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Connie Francis, pseudonym of Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero (Newark, 12 December 1938), is an American singer.

Born into a family of Italian descent (Catholic on the father's side, Jewish on mother's side), the young Concetta Franconero learned Italian and Yiddish in parallel to English, the mother tongue.

She is best known for her achievements When When When, Who's Sorry Now ?, Where the Boys Are, Everybody's Somebody's Fool. The big launch had happened a few years before, in 1959, with Stupid Cupid, also engraved by Neil Sedaka, in the same period, but Connie entered strongly in the US charts and climbed up to the 14th place, which means a couple of millions of records sold.

The first big hits in Italy are represented by his version of Roman Guitar, two years later, and again in 1961, by Jealous of You, an English version of Il tango della jealoia. To give an idea of ​​the success of the Italian sale of the latter that comes in first position for five weeks, just think that after more than 50 years there is at least a copy of this 45 laps in antiques markets in the square. Many of his hit songs were imported into the country from the USA, translated and reinterpreted in Italian, like Someone Else's Boy, Baby Roo, Many Tears Ago, Where the Boys Are, soundtrack of the his film The beach of desire, first in Italy for five weeks, and Fly Me to the Moon (Take me with you). The Italian success lasted for almost all the sixties with songs like Mamma, Give me your hand and run, Nights of Spain, One night like that, La paloma up to Regent's Park, which acted as the final theme of the TV drama Melissa on the National Canal.

In Italy he also took part in the 1965 Sanremo Festival with I need to see you sung in conjunction with Gigliola Cinquetti and at the Sanremo Festival in 1967 with Sing Girl sung in combination with Bobby Solo.

On November 8, 1974, after a performance at the Westbury Music Fair in New York, Connie Francis was attacked in the Motel where she stayed, raped and suffocated almost to death from the weight of a mattress that the attacker (never again tracked) threw them on [1].

In 1977, due to nose surgery, Connie completely lost her voice; She was then subjected to other interventions, but even when she regained her voice she was forced to take singing lessons, something she had never done before. He returned to the recording studio in 1978 recording the album Who's Happy Now ?, containing a disco version of Where the Boys Are. Two other albums followed: Comme ci, comme ça and I'm Me Again, but the success was followed by another tragedy: in 1981 tragically his brother George Franconero jr died. to which he was particularly attached, assassinated by the assassins of the American mafia. Back on the stage and at concerts, she must also come to terms with a long psychological illness that forces her to retire for another four years.

He returned in 1989 recording for Malaco Records a double album of his reinterpreted hits and of some classics of the 60s, entitled Where the Hits Are. In 1995 it was the turn of the album The Return Concert, a live album with its most recent performances. She has performed to this day, with some sold out at the Castro Theater in San Francisco, and has appeared alongside Dionne Warwick at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas in the Eric Floyd's Grand Divas of Stage show.

On May 29, 2010, Connie Francis was greeted with great affection by the audience at a show on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the release of her film, La spiaggia del desiderio, on Fort Lauderdale Beach, where the film was shot and where the singer was invited to present her hit "Where the Boys Are" based on the film itself.
  •  

Geno

Violino Tzigano - Connie Francis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWQLGLcga7Q
  •  

Geno

Chitarra Romana-  Connie Francis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DOc_RUnVt0
  •