Main Menu

Hollies

Started by admin, January 17, 2017, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

[move][glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300]Complete songs in this Topic from The Hollies[/glow][/glow][/move]

01 = Blowing in the Wind
02 = Bus Stop
03 = He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
04 = Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
05 = Sorry Suzanne
06 = Stop-Stop-Stop
07 = The Air That I Breathe

The Hollies are an English pop/rock group known for their pioneering and distinctive three-part vocal harmony style. The Hollies became one of the leading British groups of the 1960s (231 weeks on the UK singles charts during the 1960s; the 9th highest of any artist of the decade) and into the mid 1970s. It was formed by Allan Clarke and Graham Nash in 1963 as a Merseybeat type music group in Manchester, although some of the band members came from towns north of there. Graham Nash left the group in 1968 to form the supergroup Crosby, Stills & Nash.

They enjoyed considerable popularity in many countries (at least 60 singles or EPs and 26 albums charting somewhere in the world spanning over five decades), although they did not achieve major US chart success until 1966 with "Bus Stop". The Hollies had over 30 charting singles on the UK Singles Chart, and 22 on the Billboard Hot 100, with major hits on both sides of the Atlantic that included "Just One Look", "Look Through Any Window", "Bus Stop", "I Can't Let Go", "On a Carousel", "Stop Stop Stop", "Carrie Anne", "Jennifer Eccles", and later "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" and "The Air That I Breathe".

They are one of the few British pop groups of the early 1960s, along with The Rolling Stones, that have never disbanded and continue to record and perform. In recognition of their achievements, The Hollies were inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AI1v2Ma45g

Hollies Sing Dylan is a 1969 cover album where the Hollies sing Bob Dylan songs. It was also released in the US as Words and Music by Bob Dylan with a different cover but using the same band image and track order First released on compact disc in West Germany in the late 1980s, it was not released in that format in the rest of Europe until 1993.

For this issue, two bonus tracks, the single version of "Blowin' in the Wind" and a live version of "The Times They Are a-Changin'". A later remastered issue in 1999 added a third bonus track, a live version of "Blowin' in the Wind".

This album was recorded and released following Graham Nash's departure from the band to join David Crosby and Stephen Stills in December 1968 after early sessions for a follow-up to the psychedelic concept album, Butterfly broke down.

Nash became frustrated when the other band members showed opposition to lyrics in his latest compositions. By that time, Nash was the only member of the band using LSD and marijuana and a rift was forming between him and his beer drinking bandmates:
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZEoKqjfvkw

"Bus Stop" is a song recorded and released as a single by the British pop band The Hollies in 1966. It reached No. 5 in the UK Singles Chart. It was the Hollies' first US hit,reaching No. 5 on the Billboard charts in September 1966.

"Bus Stop" was written by UK songwriter and future 10cc member Graham Gouldman, who also penned major hits for The Yardbirds ("For Your Love") and Herman's Hermits ("No Milk Today"), as well as The Hollies' first venture into the U.S. top 40 with "Look Through Any Window".

In a 1976 interview Gouldman said the idea for the song had come while he was riding home from work on a bus. The opening lines were written by his father, playwright Hyme Gouldman. Graham Gouldman continued with the rest of the song in his bedroom, apart from the middle-eight, which he finished while riding to work – a men's outfitters – on the bus the next day.

Thirty years later he elaborated on the song's beginnings: "'Bus Stop', I had the title and I came home one day and he said 'I've started something on that Bus Stop idea you had, and I'm going to play it for you. He'd written Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say please share my umbrella and it's like when you get a really great part of a lyric or, I also had this nice riff as well, and when you have such a great start to a song it's kind of like the rest is easy. It's like finding your way onto a road and when you get onto the right route, you just follow it.

"My late father was a writer. He was great to have around. I would write something and always show him the lyric and he would fix it for me. You know, he'd say 'There's a better word than this' – he was kind of like a walking thesaurus as well and quite often, sometimes, he came up with titles for songs as well. 'No Milk Today' is one of his titles, and also the 10cc song 'Art for Art's Sake'."

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5vi9ir49g

"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" is a popular music ballad written by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell. Originally recorded by Kelly Gordon in 1969, the song became a worldwide hit for The Hollies later that year and again for songwriter Neil Diamond in 1970. It has been covered by many artists in subsequent years. The Hollies' and Rufus Wainwright's versions of the song were featured in the film Zoolander.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP94PlEtsEQ

"Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" (also called "Long Cool Woman" or "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)") is a song written by Allan Clarke, Roger Cook, and Roger Greenaway and performed by the British rock group The Hollies. Originally appearing on the album Distant Light, it was released as a single in April 1972 (on Parlophone in the United Kingdom), selling 1.5 million copies in the United States and two million worldwide. It reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 1

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaN3VxRDbA

"Sorry Suzanne" is a 1969 single by The Hollies that was co-written by Geoff Stephens and Tony Macaulay. It was the group's first song to feature Terry Sylvester in the place of Graham Nash. "Sorry Suzanne" was released with the B-side "Not That Way at All" on the Parlophone label, Catalog number R5733. The song reached #3 on the UK singles chart in March 1969 and reached #1 in Switzerland on April 22, 1969.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2cze58R5E

"Stop Stop Stop" is a song by British pop group The Hollies  that was written by group members Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks, and Graham Nash, and was a rewrite of an earlier song by the group. It was first released as a single and later appeared on the album For Certain Because in the United Kingdom.

The song was released as a single by the Parlophone label in October 1966  and was released around the same time in the United States by Imperial Records. It was the last single that The Hollies released that year (see 1966 in music) and became a worldwide hit reaching the top 10 of the singles charts in 8 countries, including at #1 in Canada. There is also an Italian version, made by Rita Pavone. The song was covered by Minneapolis Celtic-punk group Boiled in Lead on their 1989 album From the Ladle to The Grave, also interpolating a traditional Egyptian melody into the song.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HydvceA1PAI

T5

"The Air That I Breathe" (Spanish title: "Necesito poder respirar") is a ballad written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood, initially recorded by Albert Hammond on his 1972 album It Never Rains in Southern California.

This song was a major hit for The Hollies in early 1974, reaching number two in the United Kingdom. In the summer of 1974, the song reached number six in the United States on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number three on the Adult Contemporary chart. In Canada, the song peaked at number five on the RPM Magazine charts. The audio engineering for "The Air That I Breathe" was done by Alan Parsons. It proved to be the Hollies' final charting hit in both the US and UK.

The 1992 Radiohead song "Creep" uses a similar chord progression and shares some melodic content with "The Air That I Breathe".  As a result, Hammond and Hazlewood sued Radiohead for plagiarism and won.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgA4-bLcoN8

"Carrie Anne" is a song written by Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, and Tony Hicks and released by British pop rock group The Hollies.

The song was recorded on 1 May 1967 and was released as a single in the same month by Parlophone Records in the United Kingdom and Epic Records in the United States.

It became a hit in 1967, reaching #3 on the UK Singles Chart. It was also a hit in the US and Canada, peaking at #9 on both pop charts. It also reached No. 4 in the Irish charts.

admin

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5vi9ir49g

A complete remake of the beautiful song

And A song Request
  •  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It75wQ0JypA

A nice song A song Upgrade as a song Request
  •