Titus Turner

Started by admin, December 30, 2017, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Titus Lee Turner (May 1, 1933 – September 13, 1984) was an American R&B and East Coast blues singer and songwriter. His best-remembered recordings are "We Told You Not to Marry" and "Sound-Off". He also wrote "Leave My Kitten Alone" and "Tell Me Why".

Turner was born in Atlanta, Georgia. His debut single, "Where Are You", was released in 1950 by Aladdin Records, credited to Mr. T and his Band. Another single, "Stop Trying to Make a Fool of Me", was released by Regal Records in 1951. A year later he recorded eight tracks for Okeh Records, including "Got So Much Trouble." He then recorded for Wing, an imprint of Mercury Records, but he was not commercially successful until 1955, when Little Willie John recorded Turner's "All Around the World". Another version, retitled "Grits Ain't Groceries," was by Little Milton.

Turner and John then co-wrote "Leave My Kitten Alone", cover versions of which were recorded by Johnny Preston, the Beatles and Elvis Costello. In 1959, King Records issued Turner's first hit single, "The Return of Stagolee," an answer song to Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee".

He repeated the trick with his next release, "We Told You Not to Marry," an answer to Price's "I'm Gonna Get Married." In 1960, Ray Charles recorded Turner's song "Sticks and Stones", many cover versions of which have been issued over the years. By 1961 Turner had his biggest solo success with "Sound-Off", which came from the only album he ever released. The track was described by Joel Whitburn in Top Pop Singles 1955–2002 as a "popular US Army marching drill chant," which had been a number 3 hit for Vaughn Monroe in 1951.

Later singles failed to find a market, and Turner recorded for many labels throughout the 1960s without further tangible success.  These included "Eye to Eye" (Okeh, 1966). His final release was a song he wrote, "His Funeral, My Trial", in 1969.

Turner died in Atlanta in 1984.

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: peterm