Frankie Laine

Started by admin, June 08, 2017, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Frankie Laine (born Francesco Paolo LoVecchio; March 30, 1913 – February 6, 2007) was an American singer, songwriter, and actor whose career spanned 75 years, from his first concerts in 1930 with a marathon dance company to his final performance of "That's My Desire" in 2005. Often billed as "America's Number One Song Stylist", his other nicknames include "Mr. Rhythm", "Old Leather Lungs", and "Mr. Steel Tonsils". His hits included "That's My Desire", "That Lucky Old Sun", "Mule Train", "Cry of the Wild Goose", "A Woman In Love", "Jezebel", "High Noon", "I Believe", "Hey Joe!", "The Kid's Last Fight", "Cool Water", "Moonlight Gambler," "Love Is a Golden Ring," "Rawhide", and "Lord, You Gave Me a Mountain."

He sang well-known theme songs for many movie Western soundtracks, including 3:10 To Yuma, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and Blazing Saddles, although he was not a country & western singer. Laine sang an eclectic variety of song styles and genres, stretching from big band crooning to pop, western-themed songs, gospel, rock, folk, jazz, and blues. He did not sing the soundtrack song for High Noon, which was sung by Tex Ritter, but his own version (with somewhat altered lyrics, omitting the name of the antagonist, Frank Miller) was the one that became a bigger hit, nor did he sing the theme to another show he is commonly associated with—Champion the Wonder Horse (sung by Mike Stewart)—but released his own, subsequently more popular, version.

Laine's enduring popularity was illustrated in June 2011, when a TV-advertised compilation called Hits reached No. 16 on the British chart. The accomplishment was achieved nearly 60 years after his debut on the UK chart, 64 years after his first major U.S. hit and four years after his death.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKrvEdLXaM

"That's My Desire" is a 1931 popular song with music by Helmy Kresa and lyrics by Carroll Loveday.

The highest-charting version of the song was recorded by the Sammy Kaye orchestra in 1946, although a version of the song recorded by Frankie Laine has become better known over the years, being one of Laine's best-known recordings. It has been recorded by many other singers, including a number of doo-wop groups.

The recording by the Sammy Kaye orchestra was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2251, with the flip side "Red Silk Stockings and Green Perfume".[1] It first reached the Billboard Best Seller chart on June 13, 1947 and lasted 17 weeks on the chart, peaking at #2.[2]

The recording by Frankie Laine was recorded on August 27, 1946, with Manny Klein's Orchestra, and released by Mercury Records as catalog number 5007, with the flip side "By the River Sainte Marie".  It reached the Billboard Best Seller chart on June 27, 1947 and lasted four weeks on the chart, peaking at #4. It was Laine's first chart hit. Despite the higher chart position of the Kaye version, the Laine version is the widely reported million-seller. The Laine version also appeared on Billboard′s Rhythm and Blues survey.

The recording by Hadda Brooks on the smaller Modern Records label, also peaked at #4 on the R&B chart in 1947.

The Hollies' version, recorded in Abbey Road studios 1st March 1965 appeared on the group's 3rd LP. In South Africa it was released as a single, and went no 1 there in 1967.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9j2EN4TU4

"Jezebel" is a 1951 popular song written by Wayne Shanklin. It was recorded by Frankie Laine with the Norman Luboff Choir and Mitch Miller and his orchestra on April 4, 1951 and released by Columbia Records as catalog number 39367. The record reached #2 on the Billboard chart and was a million seller. The B-side, "Rose, Rose, I Love You", was a hit too and reached #3.

The title refers to the biblical woman Jezebel, a wicked, Baal-worshipping Phoenecian princess who ruled Israel as queen to King Ahab. Jezebel's story is recounted in I Kings, a book of the Old Testament.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPplYp7K7M

Rawhide" is a Western song written by Ned Washington (lyrics) and composed by Dimitri Tiomkin in 1958. It was originally recorded by Frankie Laine. The song was used as the theme to Rawhide, a western television series that ran on CBS from 1959 to 1966. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.

The song is about the job of a drover on a cattle drive
  •