Carly Simon

Started by admin, November 07, 2017, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Carly Elisabeth Simon (born June 25, 1945) is an American singer-songwriter, musician and children's author. She first rose to fame in the 1970s with a string of hit records; her 13 Top 40 U.S. hits include "Anticipation" (No. 13), "You Belong To Me" (No. 6), "Coming Around Again" (No. 18), and her four Gold certified singles "Jesse" (No. 11), "Mockingbird" (No. 5, a duet with James Taylor), "You're So Vain" (No. 1), and "Nobody Does It Better" (No. 2) from the 1977 James Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me.

After a brief stint with her sister Lucy Simon as duo group the Simon Sisters, she found great success as a solo artist with her 1971 self-titled debut album Carly Simon, which won her the Grammy Award for Best New Artist, and spawned her first Top 10 single "That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be". She achieved international fame with her third album No Secrets which sat firmly at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for five weeks and spawned the worldwide hit "You're So Vain", for which she received three Grammy nominations, including Record of the Year and Song of the Year. With her 1988 hit "Let the River Run," from the film Working Girl, she became the first artist to win a Grammy Award, an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for a song composed and written, as well as performed, entirely by a single artist.

Over the course of her career, Simon amassed 24 Billboard Hot 100 charting singles, 28 Billboard Adult Contemporary charting singles, and won two Grammy Awards. AllMusic called her "One of the quintessential singer-songwriters of the '70s".  She has a contralto vocal range and cited Odetta as a significant influence . She was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1994. In 1995 and 1998, respectively, she received the Boston Music Awards Lifetime Achievement and a Berklee College of Music Honorary Doctor of Music Degree.  She was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame for "You're So Vain" in 2004 and awarded the ASCAP Founders Award in 2012.

Simon is the former wife of singer-songwriter James Taylor. They have two children together, Sarah "Sally" Maria Taylor and Benjamin "Ben" Simon Taylor, who are also musicians.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqcczYZnJ8

"The Right Thing to Do" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon that first appeared on her 1972 album No Secrets.

The song was recorded at Trident Studios in London's Soho. It was released as the second single to the album, following "You're So Vain" and reached No. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 4 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart.  It also reached No. 20 on the Canada Top Singles chart and No. 9 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart.  It reached #17 in the UK.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8niyG-cPgs

T5

"Nobody Does It Better" is a song composed by Marvin Hamlisch with lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager.

It was recorded by Carly Simon as the theme song for the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me.

It was the first Bond theme song to be titled differently from the name of the film since Dr. No, although the phrase "the spy who loved me" is included in the lyrics. The song was released as a single from the film's soundtrack album.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

T5

"You're So Vain" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon and released in November 1972.

The song is a critical profile of a self-absorbed lover about whom Simon asserts "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you." The title subject's identity has long been a matter of speculation, with Simon stating that the song refers to three men, only one of whom she has named publicly, actor Warren Beatty.

The song is ranked at #82 on Billboard's Greatest Songs of All-Time. "You're So Vain" was voted #216 in RIAA's Songs of the Century, and in August 2014, the UK's Official Charts Company crowned it the ultimate song of the 1970s.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ85n_eyIXo

T5

Jesse" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon and produced by Mike Mainieri. The song was the lead single from Simon's ninth studio album, Come Upstairs.

The song is told in first-person about the narrator's disdain for her former lover, Jesse, who has just moved back to town. She vows to have nothing to do with him, "Don't let him near me, don't let him touch me, don't let him please me," she sings. She asks her friends to remind her of how he has wronged her, because she fears she'll end up letting her guard down and fall back under his spell. She ends up going back on her promise to herself and the two rekindle their romance. "Jesse, quick come here, I won't tell a soul", "Jesse, that you've come back to me, my friends will all say 'She's gone again'", she sings. She then seeks to comfort her friends because they don't approve. "My friends, let's comfort them, they're feeling bad, they think I've sunk so low," she sings.

Simon's then-husband, James Taylor, and their daughter, Sally Taylor, sing backup vocals. The single has a country-pop flair, unlike the rest of the album, which is more rock oriented.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7HgO9QhAc

T5

That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" is a 1971 song performed by Carly Simon.

Her friend and frequent collaborator Jacob Brackman wrote the lyrics and Simon wrote the music. The song was released as the lead single from her self-titled debut album, Carly Simon, and it reached peak positions of number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and 6 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.

musicman100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0A7jAVDPJU

T5

Coming Around Again" is a 1986 single by Carly Simon from the album of the same title and the soundtrack of Heartburn. The song became one of Simon's biggest hits, peaking in the US Billboard Top 20 and was a top ten hit in the UK.

The success of the song began a career resurgence for Simon. The single is featured on multiple compilations of her work, which include 1995's 3-disc box set Clouds in My Coffee, the UK import The Very Best of Carly Simon: Nobody Does It Better, the 2-disc retrospective Anthology, 2004's single disc Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits, and 2014's Playlist: The Very Best of Carly Simon.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

T5

Anticipation" is a song written and performed by Carly Simon, and the lead single from her 1971 album of the same name. The song peaked at number 13 on the Billboard pop singles chart and at number 3 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. The song ranked number 72 on Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972, and garnered Simon a Grammy Award nomination for Best Pop Female Vocalist.  Simon wrote the song on the guitar in 15 minutes, as she awaited Cat Stevens to pick her up for a date.

"Anticipation" is one of Simon's biggest hits. It has been included on several compilations of her work, including The Best of Carly Simon (1975), Clouds in My Coffee (1995), The Very Best of Carly Simon: Nobody Does It Better (1999), Anthology (2002), and Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits (2004). A live version from her 1988 album Greatest Hits Live was included on Sony BMG/Legacy's 2014 compilation release Playlist: The Very Best of Carly Simon.

The song was used in commercials for Heinz Ketchup through the late 1970s into the 1980s.  Saturday Night Live used the song in a similar fashion for its mock commercial for "Swill Mineral Water."

musicman100

Haven't Got Time for the Pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4HLHuS3hkw

"Haven't Got Time for the Pain" is a song written by Carly Simon and Jacob Brackman that was first released on Simon's 1974 album Hotcakes.

It was also released as a single, reaching #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.

It is also known for its use in commercials for the ibuprofen brand Medipren in the late 1980s.