Shirley Bassey

Started by montage, June 02, 2017, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

1= Goldfinger
2= When you smile

Dame Shirley Veronica Bassey, DBE (born 8 January 1937)  is a Welsh singer whose career began in the mid-1950s, best known for both her powerful operatic voice and for recording the theme songs to the James Bond films Goldfinger (1964), Diamonds Are Forever (1971), and Moonraker (1979). In January 1959, Bassey became the first Welsh person to gain a No. 1 single.

In 2000, Bassey was made a Dame for services to the performing arts. In 1977 she received the Brit Award for Best British Female Solo Artist in the previous 25 years.  Bassey has been called "one of the most popular female vocalists in Britain during the last half of the 20th century."[

Shirley Veronica Bassey was the sixth and youngest child of Henry Bassey and Eliza Jane Start, and was born on Bute Street in Tiger Bay (Butetown), Cardiff, Wales. She grew up in the adjacent community of Splott. At the time, Tiger Bay was one of the largest ports in the world and was very multi-ethnic. Her father was Nigerian, and her mother was English, from Teesside.

Two of her mother's four children from previous relationships lived in the Bassey household. Bassey's mother listed her first husband, Alfred Metcalfe, as her own father in the registry of her marriage to Henry Bassey, giving rise to speculation that this marriage was bigamous in the absence of a prior divorce.  Eliza and Henry's second child died in infancy, so Shirley was born into a household of three sisters, two half-sisters, and one brother.

Teachers and students alike at Moorland Road School noticed Bassey's strong voice, but gave the pre-teen little encouragement: "...everyone told me to shut up. Even in the school choir the teacher kept telling me to back off till I was singing in the corridor!" A classmate recalled her singing the refrain 'Can't help lovin' that man of mine' from Show Boat with such feeling that she made their teacher uncomfortable.

After leaving Splott Secondary Modern School at age 14, Bassey found employment at the Curran Steels factory while singing in public houses and clubs in the evenings and on weekends.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Wg6k9cWhM

Goldfinger" is the title song from the 1964 James Bond film Goldfinger. Composed by John Barry and with lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley, the song was performed by Shirley Bassey for the film's opening and closing title sequences, as well as the soundtrack album release.

The single release of the song gave Bassey her only Billboard Hot 100 top forty hit, peaking in the Top 10 at No. 8 and No. 2 for four weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart,  and in the United Kingdom the single reached No. 21.

The song finished at No. 53 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema. In 2008, the single was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

•  

montage

•  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxTrVsKOVFg

Big Spender

A hit version of the song by Shirley Bassey reached #21 in the UK Singles Chart in December 1967.  This version is featured in the 2004 film The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, and in the 2005 film Nynne. The song has become one of Bassey's signature songs. She has performed the song numerous times, most notably for the 80th birthday of Prince Philip. She also sang it at the 2007 Glastonbury Festival.

In December 2007 it was re-released in a new remixed version as a digital download.

This was the third and final single released from the album Get the Party Started. The single features a remix from Pink Pound and two instrumental remixes that were not included on the album release. Unlike the previous two singles this track featured a remix of a previous released recording, the vocal track was taken from a session recorded in 1984 for the album I Am What I Am. There was no promotion undertaken for the single and no video was made to support the release.

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbwidgLoRiY

This Is My Life is a 1968 album by Shirley Bassey.

The mid to late sixties was a period of declining popularity for traditional pop. How much the changing tastes in popular music directly affected Bassey's record sales is difficult to quantify; but her record sales had been faltering since the latter part of the mid 1960s, and the album failed to chart. (She did have some success in Italy during this period, where she recorded several songs in Italian, with two making the Top 40 there).
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

Organplayer

A good song i make a complete set for this song it is a Song request and a good one

and i see a make over of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqHnUM64HU
  •  

admin

•  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D1nK7q2i8I

Great song and music

A Request for a upgrade of this great song
  •  

Organplayer

A Special request  and for me a song i really don't know never here of this song before  but that can happen i don't know all the music

It was a Song how i ay that i was not in the mint of the writer of the song

The most songs i understand  and i can go in the head of the writer but this song i not come close to the writer we not become one

Sometimes i have that every writer of music have his own style his own thinking how the song must come'

Most i can step in the head of the writer and i understand the writer

But with this song that was not easy to understand

In this case i can not become one with the writer  sometimes it happens  but not often but the song is done

it cost me a lot of time to complete many hours but it is done  and i think it is ok

I chose a style i have nothing for the song i must make everything by myself.

I also make a demo of the song but it is not a song i will play often hahahahahah

It was A request and the job is done.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jgy07jhUgnyucE9P8_eCJMsqUPBqU9zH/view?usp=sharing

[move] [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ] [/move]

•