Kenny Nolan

Started by admin, March 25, 2018, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Kenny Nolan is a Los Angeles, California based singer-songwriter.

He is best remembered for the 1976-77 song "I Like Dreamin'", which he wrote and performed; it reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #4 on the Easy Listening chart.

He also co-wrote several hits with Bob Crewe, including Frankie Valli's "My Eyes Adored You" and Labelle's "Lady Marmalade" (both 1975).

At the age of 13 he won a scholarship to the University of Southern California for Musical composition, but dropped out after six months, bored with the conventional regimen. Four years later, a scholarship to Chouinard went the same way, and Nolan decided to send songs in to any musician he thought might be suitable. It brought him to the attention of both veteran songwriter Bob Crewe and entrepreneur Wes Farrell, both of whom harnessed the then youngster's talent.

As house producer at Farrell's Chelsea record label, Nolan wrote and/or produced a string of successful singles for the label, including Jim Gilstrap's "Swing Your Daddy" and "Take Your Daddy for a Ride"; Dee Clark's "Ride a Wild Horse"; and Linda Carr's "High Wire". With Crewe, meanwhile, he co-wrote some of the era's biggest successes. They included Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes' "Get Dancin'", Labelle's "Lady Marmalade", and Frankie Valli's "My Eyes Adored You". He wrote the song "Flirtin'" for the 1971 The Donny Osmond Album, as well as the final Top 40 hit for Tavares in 1982, entitled "A Penny for Your Thoughts".

Nolan also had ambition to perform - it was he who supplied the falsetto that dominated "Get Dancin'" - and, after a short tenure with Firefly, he moved onto the studio group The Eleventh Hour. The following year, produced by Crewe, the band scored two minor hits in the United States with "So Good" (1974) and the minor hit album, Hollywood Hot (1976).

In 1976, Nolan decided to record his own version of a song he had been commissioned to write by another. "I Like Dreamin'" was released by the Eleventh Hour's label, 20th Century, and in early November it finally entered the U.S. chart, to begin a three-month crawl to its peak at #3.

Nolan followed it the spring after with the Top 20 hit "Love's Grown Deep", taken from his self-titled album; he was named Number One New Pop Singles Artist of 1977 by Billboard magazine. "My Eyes Get Blurry" was the next single, from Nolan's second album, 1978's A Song Between Us. "Night Miracles" followed two years later, bringing a new single, "Us and Love (We Go Together)", to the mid-reaches of the chart in early 1980, but it failed to give Nolan any further major success.

He continued to record, however, signing to MCA and releasing "Head to Toe" in 1982. That album produced two singles, "Love Song" and "Soft Rock Hard Love," but further commercial success as a recording artist eluded him. However, he continued to write songs that became hits for other artists, including "Shoot 'Em Up Movies", which became a top ten R&B hit for soul/boogie band The Deele in 1988.

In the 1990s he wrote "Masterpiece" which became a crossover hit for another soul band, Atlantic Starr.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8eT0zqP5s

T5

I Like Dreamin'" is the title of a North American hit single by Kenny Nolan, taken from his eponymous debut album. The recording was issued as the album's lead single in October 1976, spending 27 weeks on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. It slowly crawled to number three on both that chart as well as the Cash Box Top 100 by early March 1977. The song became a Gold record.

"I Like Dreamin'" was an equally large hit in Canada, where it peaked at number three on the Pop Singles chart and was also a number-one hit on the Adult Contemporary chart.

The song describes the dreams of a man who fantasizes about how enjoyable life and family will be with his love. While he very much likes dreaming, he also wishes that his dreams will soon materialize into reality.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •