Discussion started on English - D

Yamaha
Doris Day
dor.jpg

Complete songs in this topic from Doris day
01= By the Light Of Silvery Moon
02= If I Give My Heart To You
03= Que sera

Doris Day (born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff; April 3, 1922 or 1924 is a retired American actress and singer, and continuing animal welfare activist.

Day began her career as a big band singer in 1939. Her popularity began to rise after her first hit recording "Sentimental Journey", in 1945. After leaving Les Brown & His Band of Renown to embark on a solo career, Day started her long-lasting partnership with Columbia Records, which remained her only recording label. The contract lasted from 1947 to 1967 and included more than 650 recordings, making Day one of the most popular and acclaimed singers of the 20th century. She received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a Legend Award from the Society of Singers. In 2011, she released her 29th studio album, My Heart, which debuted at No. 9 on the UK Top 40 charts. As of January 2014, Day is the oldest living artist to score a UK Top 10 with an album featuring new material.

In 1948, Day was persuaded by songwriters Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne and by Al Levy, her agent at the time, to audition for Romance on the High Seas, which led to a 20-year career in film. She became well known for her string of musicals with Gordon MacRae in the early 1950s, and later, romantic comedies with handsome leading men such as Clark Gable in Teacher's Pet (1958), Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk (1959), Lover Come Back (1961) and Send Me No Flowers (1964), Cary Grant in That Touch of Mink (1962), and James Garner in The Thrill of It All and Move Over, Darling (1963). She was ranked the biggest box-office star, the only woman appearing on that list in the era, for four years (1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964), ranking in the top 10 for ten years (1951–52, and 1959–66). She became the top-ranking female box-office star of all time and is currently ranked sixth among the top 10 box office performers (male and female), as of 2012.

Day received an Academy Award nomination for her performance in Pillow Talk, won three Henrietta Awards (World Film Favorite), and received the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's Career Achievement Award. In 1989, she received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in motion pictures. She made her last film in 1968.

Her strong commitment to animal welfare began in 1971, when she co-founded Actors and Others for Animals. She started her own non-profit organization in the 1970s, the Doris Day Animal Foundation and, later, the Doris Day Animal League (DDAL). Establishing the annual observance Spay Day USA in 1995, the Doris Day Animal League now partners with The Humane Society of the United States and continues to be a leading advocacy organization.

In 2004, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in recognition of her distinguished service to the country. Day is retired from acting and performing, but has continued her work in animal rights and welfare causes.
#1 - January 19, 2017, 03:00:49 PM
Attachments:

Yamaha
Doris Day - By the Light Of Silvery Moon

"By The Light of the Silvery Moon" or "By the Light of the Silv'ry Moon" is a popular song. The music was written by Gus Edwards, and the lyrics by Edward Madden. The song was published in 1909 and first performed on stage by Lillian Lorraine. It was one of a series of moon-related Tin Pan Alley songs of the era.

The song has been used in a great many television shows and motion pictures. A film of the same title was released in 1953, starring Doris Day. It served as a sequel to On Moonlight Bay, which also starred Doris Day.
#2 - January 19, 2017, 03:03:27 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:25:45 AM by admin »

Yamaha
Doris Day - If I Give My Heart To You

"If I Give My Heart to You" is a popular song written by Jimmy Brewster, Jimmie Crane, and Al Jacobs.

The most popular versions of the song were recorded by Doris Day and Denise Lor; both charted in 1954. Anne Shelton recorded a version for the UK market, but it lost out to the Day version, as well as one by Joan Regan which became the highest charting version in that country.

The recording by Doris Day was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 40300. It first reached the Billboard magazine charts on September 11, 1954. On the Disk Jockey chart, it peaked at #4; on the Best Seller chart, at #4; on the Juke Box chart, at #3.[1]

The recording by Denise Lor was released by Majar Records as catalog number 27. It first reached the Billboard magazine Best Seller chart on August 25, 1954 and lasted 14 weeks on the chart, peaking at #13. Dinah Shore recorded the song for RCA Victor. Her version was listed as a co-best-seller in Cashbox magazine. Other co-best-sellers were Connee Boswell and the Wright Brothers. Nat King Cole also recorded a cover of this song for his 1954 EP Nat King Cole Sings: this EP peaked at #5 in the US.

A version by Kitty Kallen also charted in 1959. Ella Fitzgerald recorded this song in 1968 on her Columbia album, "30 by Ella". Later on the song was recorded by country singer Margo Smith in 1979, where it went to #10 on the Country charts.

The song was referenced in the 1986 film "Crocodile Dundee", when the title character, played by Paul Hogan, sang the parody lyrics "if i give my heart to you, i'll have none and you'll have two".

In 2008 the song was recorded by soul singer Solomon Burke on his album Like a Fire.
#3 - January 19, 2017, 03:05:30 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:26:25 AM by admin »

Yamaha
Doris Day - Que sera

"Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)",  first published in 1956, is a popular song written by the Jay Livingston and Ray Evans songwriting team.  The song was introduced in the Alfred Hitchcock film The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956),  starring Doris Day and James Stewart in the lead roles.

Day's recording of the song for Columbia Records (catalog number 40704) made it to number two on the Billboard Hot 100  and number one in the UK Singles Chart. From 1968 to 1973, it was the theme song for the situation comedy The Doris Day Show, becoming her signature song. The three verses of the song progress through the life of the narrator—from childhood, through young adulthood and falling in love, to parenthood—and each asks "What will I be?" or "What lies ahead?"

The chorus repeats the answer: "What will be, will be." It reached the Billboard magazine charts in July 1956. The song received the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song with the alternative title "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)".  It was the third Oscar in this category for Livingston and Evans, who previously won in 1948 and 1950. In 2004 it finished at #48 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

The title sequence of the Hitchcock film gives the song title as "Whatever Will Be". It was a #1 hit in Australia for pop singer Normie Rowe in September 1965.
#4 - January 19, 2017, 03:07:50 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:27:34 AM by admin »

Yamaha
Doris Day - Cheek to Cheek

:kiss:
#5 - July 11, 2017, 11:29:17 AM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: brijen, Megerle, astor, Juhani, mistypus, bmarcill, tony2004, gianni.g

Yamaha
Doris Day - Cuddle Up A Little Closer

"Cuddle Up A Little Closer"

On the summer shore, where the breakers roar
Lovers sat on the glist'ning sand
And they talked of love while the moon above
And the stars seemed to understand
Then she grew more cold, and he grew more bold
Till she tho't that they had better go
But altho' he heard, he not even stirred
Only murmured in tones soft and low

Cuddle up a little closer, lovey mine
Cuddle up and be my little clinging vine
Like to feel your cheek so rosy
Like to make you comfy, cozy
'Cause I love from head to toesie, lovey mine

Then she deigned to rest on his manly chest
Her dear head with its flowing curls
And she said, "I'd stay on this lap for aye
How I envy the Capland girls!"
For Miss Esquimaux, 'mid the ice and snow
Has no steam-heat when he comes to call
Not a single glim, so it's up to him
To whisper in summer or fall

Cuddle up a little closer, lovey mine
Cuddle up and be my little clinging vine
Like to feel your cheek so rosy
Like to make you comfy, cozy
'Cause I love from head to toesie, lovey mine
#6 - September 21, 2017, 12:06:13 PM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: peterm, Megerle, astor, Juhani, bmarcill, tony2004, theko

Yamaha
Doris Day - My Buddy

The music was written by Walter Donaldson, the lyrics by Gus Kahn. The song was published in 1922 and early popular versions were by Henry Burr (1922), Ernest Hare (1923) and Ben Bernie (also 1923).
#7 - October 31, 2017, 07:23:27 PM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: astor, Juhani, bmarcill, tony2004

EZ PDF
Doris Day - Pretty Baby

"Pretty Baby" is a song written by Tony Jackson during the Ragtime era.

The song and lyrics apparently referred to one of Jackson's male lovers. The song was remembered as being prominent in Jackson's repertory before he left New Orleans in 1912, but was not published until 1916.

The background as to how the song came to be published has been confused over the years but the truth appears to be that composer Egbert Van Alstyne and lyricist Gus Kahn were writing partners and whilst Egbert was Chicago manager of music publishers, Jerome H. Remick & Company, they heard Tony Jackson singing the song one evening at a Chicago nightspot. They liked the melody but the lyrics were unsuitable for mass consumption.

So Jackson was paid $250 for the rights to the tune and Kahn re-wrote the lyrics with Van Alstyne adding a verse, which he took from one of his earlier songs which had not been successful.  Jackson's name was included on the sheet music.
#8 - October 31, 2017, 07:25:56 PM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: bmarcill, tony2004

New!
YamahaEZ PDF
Doris Day - Secret Love

"Secret Love" is a song composed by Sammy Fain (music) and Paul Francis Webster (lyrics)  for Calamity Jane, a 1953 musical film in which it was introduced by Doris Day in the title role. 

Ranked as a #1 hit for Day on both the Billboard and Cash Box, the song also afforded Day a #1 hit in the United States. "Secret Love" has subsequently been recorded by a wide range of artists, becoming a C&W hit firstly for Slim Whitman and later for Freddy Fender, with the song also becoming an R&B hit for Billy Stewart, whose version also reached the Top 40 as did Freddy Fender's.  In the U.K., "Secret Love" would become the career record of Kathy Kirby via her 1963 remake of the song.  The melody is based on the opening theme of Schubert's A-major piano sonata, D.664.
#9 - October 31, 2017, 07:29:57 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:46:07 PM by admin »

The following users thanked this post: Megerle, astor, Juhani, bmarcill, tony2004, sermaf

Yamaha
Doris Day - Toyland
#10 - November 14, 2017, 11:30:00 AM
Attachments:

The following users thanked this post: Megerle, astor, Juhani, tony2004

Print

Members:

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...