Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

complete songs in this topic
01= matrimony
02= Get Down
03= Clair
04= Alone Again

Gilbert O'Sullivan (born Raymond Edward O'Sullivan, 1 December 1946) is an Irish singer-songwriter, best known for his early 1970s hits "Alone Again (Naturally)", "Clair", and "Get Down". The music magazine Record Mirror voted him the top UK male singer of 1972.

Worldwide he has charted 16 top-40 records, including six #1 songs, the first of which was 1970's "Nothing Rhymed". Such was his popularity in the early 1970s that "Matrimony", an airplay and live favourite from his debut album Himself, remains one of his most famous compositions despite only having been a hit single in the Netherlands where it reached #4.

His most successful recording period was between 1970 and 1980, though he has since recorded ten studio albums up to 2015. Speaking in 2009 he said, "I write pop songs. End of story. That's all I wanted to do. That's all I want to do. And that's all I continue to want to do. I have no interest in just touring, and living in the past."

Raymond Edward O'Sullivan was born in Cork Road, Waterford, Ireland.[4] In 1953, when he was seven, his family moved to Battersea, London; when he was eight they moved to Swindon, Wiltshire, England. He attended St Joseph's and the Swindon College of Art, where he briefly played drums in a band called Rick's Blues, along with Malcolm Mabbett (guitar), Keith Ray (bass), and founder Rick Davies (who later founded Supertramp) and where he developed his lifelong interests in music and art.[5][6] According to a 1972 interview with O'Sullivan, Davies taught him how to play both drums and piano.[7] Other semi-professional bands he played with while at college include The Doodles and The Prefects.[5]
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYW5Px8LwM

[move][glow=red,2,300]GILBERT O'SULLIVAN
"Matrimony"[/glow][/move]

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXl5P2xO9-o

[move][glow=red,2,300]Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down[/glow][/move]

Told you once before
And I won't tell you no more
Get down, get down, get down
You're a bad dog baby
But I still want you 'round

You give me the creeps
When you jump on your feet
So get down, get down, get down
Keep your hands to yourself
I'm strictly out of bounds

Once upon a time I drank a little wine
Was as happy as could be, happy as could be
Now I'm just like a cat on a hot tin roof
Baby what do you think you're doin' to me

Told you once before
And I won't tell you no more
So get down, get down, get down
You're a bad dog baby
But I still want you 'round, around
I still want you around

I don't give a damn
And I'd like you if you can to
Get down, get down, get down
You're a bad dog baby
But I still want you 'round

"Get Down" is a song by Gilbert O'Sullivan, from his album I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter. Released as a single, it spent two weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart in April 1973, and was also a number-one hit in Ireland and a top-ten hit in the United States and Canada. The song was originally used by O'Sullivan as a piano warm-up tune, but was eventually extended into a full song.

Believed to be an order from O'Sullivan to his dog ("Get Down!"), the singer is actually referring to a girl in the song behaving as a dog jumping on him, hence the request to "get down".
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9fClvdo5s

"Clair" is a popular song by Irish singer Gilbert O'Sullivan and is one of his biggest-selling singles. Written by O'Sullivan and produced by Gordon Mills, it was the number one single in the UK Singles Chart for two weeks in November 1972, number one in Canada on the RPM 100 national singles chart the following January, and peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US. It was also O'Sullivan's second and last number one hit on the U.S. Easy Listening chart, after "Alone Again (Naturally)".

The song is the love song of an uncle for his young niece, though for the first part of the song, the ambiguous text leads one to think that it is from one adult to another. The brief instrumental introduction is the sound of O'Sullivan whistling, before he comes in. The real Clair was the young daughter of O'Sullivan's producer-manager, Gordon Mills, and his wife, the model Jo Waring.

The little girl's giggling is heard at the end of this song. The "Uncle Ray" mentioned in the song is O'Sullivan himself, a reference to his real name of Raymond O'Sullivan. The instrumental break in the middle section is done half a step up from A to B-Flat, before going back to A.

"Clair" was included in O'Sullivan's album Back to Front (1972). An Italian version was performed in 1973 by the crooner Johnny Dorelli. A cover by Singers Unlimited was sampled by producer J Dilla for the Slum Village song "Players".
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

T5

"Alone Again (Naturally)" is a song by Irish singer-songwriter Gilbert O'Sullivan. It was released in 1972 at the same time as (but not on) the album, Back to Front. In total, the single spent six weeks, non-consecutively, at #1 on the United States Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

Billboard ranked it as the No. 2 song for 1972. In Casey Kasem's American Top 40 of the 1970s, "Alone Again (Naturally)" ranked as the fifth most-popular song of the decade (Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life" was #1). "Alone Again (Naturally)" also spent six weeks at number one on the Easy Listening chart. The track reached #3 in the UK Singles Chart.

The song is also featured in the films Under The Skin, The Virgin Suicides, Osmosis Jones, Stuart Little 2, Stuck on You, Lost Islands, Megamind, and Love, Rosie.
  •