Pointer Sisters, The

Started by montage, June 06, 2017, 03:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montage

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

The Pointer Sisters is an American pop group . The four sisters Ruth , Anita , Bonnie and June († 2006 ), children of dominee Elton Pointer , began their singing career in the sixties in their father's church .

Bonnie finished in 1978 and went solo; She had a record contract at Motown for a short time. The others continued as a trio and scored hits like Fire (written by Bruce Springsteen ), Happiness , Jump (for my love) and Neutron Dance recorded for Beverly Hills Cop's soundtrack. June left the group in 2004 and was replaced by Issa, Ruth's daughter who regularly invaded her mother or one of the two aunts in the previous two years. In 2009, she was replaced by Sadako Johnson , granddaughter of Ruth. In addition, Issa still performs as a regular replacement during performances.

During the last years, the Pointer Sisters once again have a success in Europe. In 2002, they participated in the "Night of the Proms", a series of concerts in the Benelux, France and Germany, and were voted by the public as the most favorite act.

In addition, the three ladies in 2005, together with the Flemish singer Natalia Druyts, rewarned the number "Sisters are doing it for themselves" and this number reached second place in the Belgian charts. This collaboration resulted in a series of ten out-of-date concerts in the Sports Palace in Antwerp in January 2006.

•  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9S5EZgIJck

"Fire" is a song written by Bruce Springsteen in 1977 which had its highest profile as a 1978 single release by the Pointer Sisters.

The inaugural single by the Pointer Sisters as the trio of Anita, June and Ruth Pointer, "Fire" was recorded for the group's November 1978 album release Energy. The lead vocal on the track was by Anita Pointer: on hearing the song's demo, which featured a deep Elvis Presley-type vocal, Anita Pointer had told producer Richard Perry: "It's too low for me: I guess you want Ruthie to sing it" to which Perry replied: "No - I want you to sing it."

Knight Ridder music critic Christine Arnold cited "Fire" as Energy 's [main] highlight": Arnold - "Springsteen has created a song that might well have been done by the Ronettes in the '60s, and the Pointers inherit and develop the legacy nicely. Lyrically it's a simple song, but one that captures the indecision of a woman who wants and does not want a man all at the same time. And when the Pointers sing [the lyric] fire it's enough to sear your turntable."

Rising to No. 2 on the Hot 100 in Billboard magazine in February 1979 (behind Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?"), "Fire" would eventually be tied by "Slow Hand" (1981) as the Pointer Sister's highest-charting single. A hit on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Adult Contemporary charts at respectively No. 14 and No. 22, "Fire" would also afford the Pointer Sisters an international chart hit, reaching No. 1 in Belgium, the Netherlands, South Africa and New Zealand, and charting in Australia (No. 7), Austria (No. 10), Canada (No. 3), Germany (No. 35) and the UK (No. 34).

Anita Pointer would recall: "['Fire'] became [the Pointer Sisters'] first gold single: we had had gold albums before but I didn't realize what a difference a gold single made 'cause...that one song [is played] over and over all over the world. ['Fire'] really became a major hit for us and made a total difference in our career."
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE

"I'm So Excited" is a song performed by American recording artists The Pointer Sisters. Jointly written and composed by The Pointer Sisters in collaboration with Trevor Lawrence, it was originally released in 1982 (reaching #30 on the U.S. singles chart) and saw a remixed re-release in 1984 (reaching #9 on the U.S. singles chart).
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jdhorGtQI

Neutron Dance" is a song written by Allee Willis and Danny Sembello which was introduced by the Pointer Sisters on their 1983 album Break Out. The song became a Top Ten hit in 1985, its success augmented by being prominently featured on the soundtrack of motion picture Beverly Hills Cop.
  •  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9S5EZgIJck

A remake f this great song

here the complete set of the song
  •  

admin

:s_cool:
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •